Email 639: HIV Test, 5 Days Post Exposure

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:33 PM

Hi,

I had unprotected sex 5 days ago. Is it okay to get tested already? Kinakabahan kasi ako nagkaroon ako ng sorethroat i think meron plema sa lalamunan ko.. (translation: I am scared since I am having sore throat and I think theres phlegm in my throat).

I'm planning to get tested this sat on the RITM satellite clinic since its free (I'm not a patient there is it still free?). If the result will be negative, is it still possible for to have it? (i'll abstain from sex since it really got me scared)

Thanks,
XXX


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email.

You can take the HIV test however, there is high percentage that the rapid test won't detect any HIV antibodies yet in your blood as it is just a few days post exposure, thus a negative result will come out. You will then be advised to come back again after 3 months post exposure since the window period for antibodies to develop is up to 3 months. 

However there are three good things about taking the HIV test early on. One, you will be clearing all past exposures; second, you won't be scared anymore of the HIV test; and three, you will get a counselling on HIV 101.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy








"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: