Email 121: OFW Thinks He has HIV

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 10:19 AM

Hi Pozzie.

I am glad I stumbled on your blog. I was looking for HIV in the Philippines and a link to your blog came out. I am happy that I find interesting information about HIV in the country.

First of all, I am XXX, 25 from XXX. I used to work in Singapore pero bago pa nila ako madeport ay umuwi na kaagad ako ng walang paalam sa mga kaibigan ko at officemates ko dun. Nagdonate ako ng blood doon at nalaman ko na lamang na pinadala yung blood sample ko sa Ministry of Health. Doon ako natakot. Nakarinig na din ako ng mga balita sa mga dinedeport na mga OFW’s (overseas Filipino Workers) na may HIV at ganun din ang unang ginagawa sa blood sample nila. That day, nag empake kaagad ako at nagbook ng earliest flight pauwi.

Regarding my history, I had unprotected sex when I was here and when I was in Singapore. Sa Pilipinas mga Filipinos lang ang nakakasex ko. Pero sa Singapore ibat ibang nationalities ang nakakaencounter ko. 

I am not sickly pero dahil sa nangyari, natatakot ako na baka may HIV ako. Ano ang gagawin ko ngayon? Wala na akong work. Mahal ba ang tests at ang treatment? mamamatay ba ako kaagad? Nag aalala ako sa family ko dahil breadwinner ako. 

Please help me. 

XXX

(Translation:

First of all, I am XXX, 25 from XXX. I used to work in Singapore but before they deport me, I came home fast without telling my friends and officemates there. I donated blood there and I learned that my blood sample was sent to the Ministry of Health. There I got scared. I heard a lot of news about those OFW's who got deported with HIV and that the same thing they did to their blood sample. That day, I packed up my things and booked the earliest flight home.

Regarding my history, I had unprotected sex when I was here (Philippines) and when I was in Singapore. In the Philippines, I had sex with only Filipinos. But in Singapore I had encounters with a lot of nationalities.

I am not sickly but because of what happened, I am scared that I may have HIV. What should I do? I don't have work anymore. Are the tests expensive? Am I going to die fast? I am worried because I am the breadwinner of the family.

Please help me.

XXX"


CONTRIBUTOR’S RESPONSE


Dear XXX,

Thank you for writing an email. 

First you need to get an HIV test, that's the only way we'll know if you are positive or negative. HIV test are free in some NGO's or social hygiene clinic, you can also do it in a private clinic but with charge of course. If ever you are negative repeat test after 3 months. If the results comes out positive you need to enroll in a treatment hub, then do your baseline laboratory test which includes your CD4. Your CD4 will determine if you're gonna start treatment or not, the threshold for treatment is 350 below.

 Treatments are free as long as you have PhilHealth. And as for your question "mamamatay ba ako kaagad?" (Am I going to die soon) the answer is NO, HIV can be managed as long as you keep yourself healthy. :)


Stay healthy,

positHIVe
Philippine Contributor


*** For HIV Testing Sites, refer to the tab at the topmost of the blog. 
We recommend you to RITM-Satellite Clinic  in Malate, Manila if you want to get your HIV result in only 2 hours.

Click the link: RITM Satellite Clinic



"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: 
Image by Google Images