Accuracy of the HIV Tests

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 3:17 PM

Dear Pozziepinoy,

I had a sexual encounter with a woman with unknown HIV status last Dec. 18, 2012. Since then I was worried and many things are going on my mind if I got an HIV from her based on that single instance. It was an unprotected vaginal intercourse.

I have been looking for different signs and symptoms over the internet for HIV and read several. I got a cold after 1 week from the encounter which disappeared after 3 days. After that, I always had dry lips but not dry mouth. Around 2 mos after that encounter I noticed some rashes on my back and chest. Im not sure what caused it although I was in a stress mode the past months due to my work and my studies and not getting enough sleep as well of at least 5 hours. 


I came across your blog and read a lot of information about HIV as well as stories regarding HIV. It is very helpful to all whether hiv+ or hiv- and because of your blog I got the courage of submitting myself to hiv test.

Since I am from the Visayas area I am far from the RITM that had been suggested by you. I took the test at Hi Precision diagnostics at Cebu City. They too provide HIV counseling prior to the procedure. I believe the test used as per the result was Serodia HIV 1 & 2 Particle Agglutination. The test was last April 6, 2013 or about around 4 months after the last possible exposure. The result came out as NON REACTIVE.

My question is how accurate was the test conducted using that serodia test and since it is not from the testing site you have suggested, can I rely also on the result or do I need to have the test done at the test sites that you have mentioned in your blog? Also, was the result conclusive considering the time of the last possible exposure up to the time of the test of more than 3 mos?

I hope you can help me on my questions and thank you in advance for your help.
You really have helped a lot of people through you blog.

God bless you always.


Regards,
XXX




POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for reading the blog and for the wonderful words about it. The blog is for everybody not only for the PLHIV. I am trying to reach out to everyone so that we all con contribute to the awareness and prevention of the virus.

With regards to your question, I asked Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG about the zerodia HIV 1 and 2 particle agglutination tests given in your province. She said that they are accurate and your HIV negative result may confirm the result. However, she said in most cases, they still advocate the 6 month period as the window period for HIV test and she strongly recommend for you to repeat the test 6 months post exposure just to make sure. Anyway, this is still a win-win situation.

Now with regards to the other symptoms that you are experiencing, it is best that you consult a doctor and don't wait anymore. 

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy






"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: