Email 310: Do I Need To Take the Test?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 10:02 PM


I had a contact with that guy last December. After we broke up this January, he told me that he had AIDS. I was worried for months so when i got a courage i did my own research, pero wala akong na experience (but I don't experience) any of those early syptoms, and it has been 3 months, ang meron lang ako ay frequently na pag ubo (I just have frequent coughing). And in my work exposed ako sa dust. Pero hindi pa ri  mawala sa akin ang pag aalala (But it doesn't stop me from worrying), especially I'm in a new relationship now. Hindi ko alam kung magpapatest ako, considering nawala akong nararamdaman na kahit anong syptoms (I don't know if I need to take the test considering that I don't feel any of the symptoms). O kailangan ko lang ng taong mapag sasabihan at makakausap (Or a need a person to tell it or talk to)? I need an advice. And how much will it cost me for that test?

XXX



POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for finding the blog.

Although it is harsh for your ex partner not to tell you that he has AIDS at first, while having intimate moments as you guys experience your love for one another, I still would like to look at this in a positive light. At least, he admitted it to you and now you can do something about it. Some people don't even know that HIV has already been transmitted to them as they were denied of that fact because their sex partners never had the decency to tell them at all, thus the cycle of HIV transmission. Looking at the bright side, with your knowledge of it, you now have the capacity to end the spread of the disease with you, if you turn out to have it. Although it can be painful because of the circumstance, there is now a big responsibility that you can do for yourself, your family and to the rest of the community.

Having HIV doesn't necessarily mean that you will get all or see some of its symptoms. Like what I and my contributors have been saying, the symptoms of HIV are non-specific. Some don't even have symptoms at all. I know a handful of PLHIV's, who I had the privilege of assisting, had no symptoms at all but their CD4 counts were way below 100.

Now the question boils down to you asking yourself if you need to take the test. For me, you MUST take the test (regardless of whether you feel any symptoms or not) if:

1. you had unprotected sex with a person with unknown HIV status.
2. you had unprotected sex with a person who is HIV positive.
3. you experienced sharing of needles (e.g., doing drugs, etc)
4. you had sex while doing drugs or when you got drunk and don't remember (and even doubtful) if you used a condom or not.
5. there is a possibility of contact with another person's seminal/vaginal fluid/breast milk to your open wound
6. you are uncertain of blood used for transfusion
7. you have been accidentally needle pricked

Like what I said and I would like to reiterate, REGARDLESS of any signs and symptoms, if you think that you may (or even doubtful) to have experienced any of the above mentioned scenario, PLEASE don't waste time and go to an HIV Testing site and take the test as soon as possible. You have the responsibility to yourself and you have the capacity to control the spread of the virus.

Please click the link below for the HIV Testing Sites that you can go to:

3. KLINIKA BERNARDO
         EDSA Across NEPA Q-Mart, Cubao, Quezon City
         (at the back of Ramon Magsaysay High School)
         Contact #0910.653.5522 (John)
         Monday to Friday 8:00am to 11:00pm
         every 2nd & 4th Sunday of the Month 2:00pm to 7:00pm



Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy






"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



If you have comments or questions, please click this link:






© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: