Email 15

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:14 AM

HI,

Thanks for your reply. I just want to clarify about my BF.

Last month, he had his bloodwork done here in XXX as part of his employment. Then it turned out to be positive.
He returned to Manila a day after and went to XXX to get tested again. The doctor in XXX told him that they will text my BF a day after his blood was extracted however if it turns out to be positive, they will forward to San Lazaro where the result is available on the 3rd week of May. Its just the first week and we are still waiting for the results.

As for me, since my last test of negative 3 months, I am now going back to Manila to have myself tested again. If 3 months is required, do you think they will allow me to take the test this early? Is it going to be accurate?

Once I have myself tested. I am worried also because I need to go back here in XXX for work... Do you think I need to stay in the Philippines for quite sometime to complete my treatment (in case i am positive). Balak ko sana is just get the medicine supply let’s say for 3 months then go back again to Manila for a follow up kung ano man ang kailangan...

Thanks,
Iam

POZZIEPINOY’S REPLY

There is no problem having yourself tested again and no matter what, it won't compromise the accuracy of the result.

If you turn out positive then be happy, but still if you're doubtful have yourself tested again after 3 months. It is not required (meaning you can have yourself tested as frequent as you can) by any doctor, but my ID told my partner that he should get tested for 2x (every 3 months) just to be sure.

If you turn out positive, the next step is for you to check your CD4 count. This will determine your immune system status. Then there are two things that you will do:

   1. If your CD4 is still above 350, be happy because you won't be given free ARV's yet by the HIV/AIDS hubs here. Their rule here is anyone with lower than 350 count will only be given with free ARV's. The doctors there will then advice on what to do next before you go back (usually after 6 months to have your CD4 test again). However, if you opt to get ARV’s in other countries if your CD4 is still high, it is possible too, but of course out of your own expense. In the US, most are buying the ARV’s (getting them through their insurance) even though they are still above 350. The fact of the matter is if you take ARV’s early, the faster your immune system to recover. However in the Philippines, since we are relying only on free medicines, we have to follow the rule of the HIV/AIDS hubs.

2. If your CD4 is below 350, then it's a different story. You will be asked to do all lab tests, blood work, chest xray, etc (see my blog) to determine if the status of your health system. The doctors will have to know if you have opportunistic infections already, or other infections that you don't know of. This would then last for 1-2 weeks. You will be needing around 5k for all the costs. Then after that, you will be given a trial test first of the ARV’s and you will have to report back after a week (or two) to report to your doctors if you have side effects from your ARV's (usually you’ll be cleared of any side effects within a 1 month period). Some hubs will also require you to do another round of lab workout after 2 weeks of taking ARV's and report back to the hub. After a month, the doctor will either give you a supply for 2 or 3 months depending on your reaction to your ARV's.



Pozziepinoy




FOR TOPIC SUGGESTIONS, please email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com
DONATE to The Love FundThe Love Fund