Email 40:The Western Blot Test

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 12:45 PM


"Dear PozziePinoy:

First allow me to thank you for providing a very valuable information through your blog. I am XXX (not my real name) and left my work in XXXX because I tested positive on my Elisa test. Before they deport me, inunahan ko na sila and booked for the earliest flight to Manila. My next plan is to go for a Western Blot Test in RITM but when I called them, I was told them they can only do it for blood donors. Pozzie, I prefer RITM because of the good things that I read about them, how they treat the patients etc. Is there anyone I can contact there specifically so I can have the Western blot in RITM instead of San Lazaro. Your referral would be very helpful.

Anticipating your quick reply,

XXX"


POZZIEPINOY'S REPLY


Hi XXX,

Thank you for your email. I am happy that I am reaching out to other people through my blog.

Although I already emailed you my response, I  called RITM-ARG in your behalf so I can give you the most factual information that I can get from their staff.

I talked to Ms. Maram Bartolome, one of the staff in RITM-ARG and she said that you can't get the Western Blot test alone since they would require you to have the Elisa test that has been done here in the Philippines. They won't honor the Elisa test you did in the country you worked before because they would want all HIV patients to actually be screened here for the national registry.

You have two options:

One, is to get the HIV test again in RITM-ARG (result for Elisa test is one day and Western Blot test after 2 weeks), however, it would follow the standard waiting period of 2 weeks for you to get the confirmatory (Western Blot test) like in any other hub. The confirmatory result is required for you to get all the privileges in the main hubs in the country, that is, free consultation, free lab tests, free prophylaxis (if available), and free ARV's.

The second option is for you to get the HIV Test in RITM Satellite Clinic. I posted the address below. Maram said that it is best for you to go to the satellite clinic instead since one, they have a free HIV test there, and two, you need only to wait for 2 hours before the result will come out. If in case your result turns out positive after 2 hours, you don't need to get a confirmatory anymore. I remember Dr. Ditangco and Ate Ellen telling me before that the HIV Test there is almost 100% accurate since they do 2 tests for screening already, thus no more waiting for the 2 weeks for the Western Blot test. Also if you would turn out positive in the satellite clinic, you can go directly at RITM-ARG and they will honor the HIV test from the satellite clinic for you to be accepted in their hub. I mentioned in my email to you who the persons to look for there in RITM-ARG in case your result turns out positive.

Here's the address of the RITM Satellite Clinic:

                RITM SATELLITE CLINIC
                1850 Leon Guinto St,
                Malate, Manila
                Tel Nos: 353-8922
                Look for Nurse Clarissa and Isabel

I wish I was able to help you with your concern. Feel free to email me again in case you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy


FOR TOPIC SUGGESTIONS, please email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com
DONATE to The Love FundThe Love Fund