Sharing my Thoughts

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 12:42 PM
Hi Pozziepinoy,

First, I want to commend you for coming up with a blog so helpful and very informative. And to think that you started it during the time when your life was at stake, you turned negative into positive. Not only for you but for those who are seeking answers and compassion, so selfless. You are so inspiring!

I came across your blog while browsing the net after I found out during a medical examination required for going abroad that I am HIV positive, just 2 weeks ago on June 23. I always know that i belong to the group who are at most risk, that made the bad news very sad but not really shocking.

Another sad part of the experience was how the attending doctor mishandled (my opinion) the situation. He is an old fat grumpy doctor, so strict and I did not feel any concern at all. We talked about the result. I asked him if I can get a second opinion. He said it's not allowed (huh?). It's a protocol that they should send my blood sample to San Lazaro for confirmatory and to be registered in the data. He asked me to go with him in the laboratory, so we went. The staff was asked to give me an HIV test consent form (something like that). So it is so obvious for the staff (there are 3 of them) to know my predicament. They talked to me with their surgery mask in their face. Asking me what my lifestyle is. How many partners I had in a certain time, etc. The confirmatory result will be available within a month, I left hurriedly. Felt humiliated, promised not to set my feet on that place again whatever the result will be. If only I could sue them....

On your blog, I called one of the TRR HIV hotline numbers. I talked to a certain Kuya Tom (I am much older than him though), He was nice and very accommodating. I told my story. I told him I am actually already symptomatic even before the test (which I really am) but never suspected HIV. His advice was to go to an RITM sattelite clinic, have my HIV test again and with positive result, the clinic will give me a referral to RITM Alabang. I don't have to wait for a month but when the confirmatory result from my first test comes, I need to get it (traumatized).

My plan is to go to RITM Anglo in Shaw Blvd on July 9 (Thursday) then go to RITM Alabang the next day.

Another problem is I am already 51yr old, 112 lbs, I have type 2 diabetes, Chronic Hepatitis B carrier and now symptomatic HIV positive. Yes! It's like SM 'I got it all'.

I actually don't have question. I read your blog and the information I need is all there.  This is more of sharing and hope to talk or see you someday.

I salute you for all your good deeds. Mabuhay ka Pozziepinoy!


Regards,
XXX

POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi XXX,

Thank you for your email. Thank you for sharing your story, your experience with me and my readers.

It is unfortunate that there are doctors and medical staff who still think that HIV is something to be scared at, that HIV something that is contagious. Project Red Ribbon has a lot of stories from different people who have the same experience as you had. Of course this will always pose a challenge to all to take a step forward and fight this legally. 

Let me just clarify why some doctors don't want you to retake the HIV test. For one, they don't want to double the entries in the HIV registry. But with the slow process and with you have symptoms already, people should start thinking outside the box and have you get treatment fast. Usually TRR recommends addressing the other infections first while waiting for the confirmatory, however, to fully address the entire health condition of the patient, we can recommend another HIV test in a clinic that can provide fast result, the result of which can be accepted already in one treatment hub. Anyway, a second opinion (or a second test, for that matter) is your right.

Just to clarify, HIV is not contagious like colds of flu so there should be no need for medical professionals to wear masks in front of you. It is high time that we all step up and tell them that what they are thinking is wrong. Well, unless they do this to all their patients, then it is a different matter.

I am glad that you were able to talk to our hotline counselors. Tom is also HIV positive so he can easily relate to what you are experiencing and feeling. Keep on communicating with him if you have other concerns. He will also refer you to Gerald, our TRR Care Manager for Hubs when you go to RITM-ARG.

Though you said, you are like SM, "you got it all" because of your other infections, you just have to believe that you will get better. Your other infections can be addressed with proper medication together with your HIV treatment. Trust me when I say we have handled a lot with graver cases. All you have to do is to follow what your doctor in the hub will tell you to do and you will be fine.

Once again, thank you for your email and thanks for all the kind words. I really do hoe that I was able to answer your questions. Feel free to email me again, or just talk to Tom if you have other concerns. We also have support group talks every week so feel free to join it.

Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy



QUESTIONS ABOUT HIV AND AIDS?
WANT TO GET TESTED?
CALL US!

TRR HIV Hotline Numbers 


0919-642-9286
0977-131-2046
0906-389-2402
 0917-899-0473
0927-823-0300 
0917-932-3122
0916-216-2066

If you want to join a private HIV support group in Facebook, please add me, Pozzie Pinoy and request to be added in the group. We have a lot of PLHIV, counselors, HIV doctors, advocates and supporters who you can talk to.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy

"We act FAST when we CARE"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: