Worried OFW

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 7:44 AM
Dear Pozzie, 

I hope things are going well with you and the rest of the support group.

Since I have found out that my partner is HIV +, it always bother me as I might be infected but thank God since I met him last 2012 until my last test on November 2013, I was diagnosed negative.

I am an OFW working in the middle east. The last test I had was during my employment medical exam on NOV-2013, since then I haven't had any contact with partner. I went for vacation last December-2014 and we dont have any vaginal intercourse other than the oral sex. 


Now, I am bothered since I will be renewing my visa and it requires another medical test. I would really like to know if there will be chances that I will be tested positive even I didnt have intercourse with my partner? I am really hesitant to approach any clinic here coz its really risky.

I don't feel any symptoms since then but I am just curious if I can plan an emergency leave just to have the test done in the Philippines before I will have my actual test on October this year.

Thank you and hope to hear from you. I am really thankful having a support group like this as I cannot talk to anyone about our situation.

Again, appreciate your valuable reply.

Best regards,
PinkP

POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi PinkP,

Thank you for your email. Thank you for reading the blog.

The Project Red Ribbon continues to provide care to the people living with HIV (PLHIV) community. It is really hard here in the Philippines when the cases of HIV continue to increase, thus we have more patients in the wards asking for medical assistance. The Love Fund is really struggling now because only a few people are willing to donate even though the need is great. 

Now going back to your concern, as you now know perhaps from reading articles in the internet or from my blog entries here, oral sex has a very low chance of transmission unless you have dental or oral issues such as open wounds, mouth sores, abrasions caused by dentures or braces, etc. during the time of your oral sex. 

Even so, you need to have peace of mind which is understandable because one, you have an HIV partner and two, you are working in the middle east where OFWs get deported if found to have HIV. If you are scared to get an HIV test there for fear of the risk, might as well take that emergency leave then if it can give you peace of mind. Anyway, you are talking about your health and the stability of your job there, so might as well do it if you can afford it.

This is the reason why I recommend regular HIV test for serodiscordant partners (well, even for everyone for that matter). It is best that HIV test be done as part of the annual physical test for everybody. Project Red Ribbon has been pushing for this for the longest time: to educate everyone to include HIV test in their annual physical test, like every other health tests. This will definitely remove stigma of taking it, with the notion that HIV test is the same as any other regular tests.

I really hope I was able to help you with your concern. If you plan to come here, please email me so you and your partner can meet the volunteers of TRR.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy






QUESTIONS ABOUT HIV AND AIDS?
WANT TO GET TESTED?
CALL US!

TRR HIV Hotline Numbers 


0919-642-9286
0977-131-2046
0906-389-2402
 0917-899-0473
0927-823-0300 
0917-932-3122
0916-216-2066

If you want to join a private HIV support group in Facebook, please add me, Pozzie Pinoy and request to be added in the group. We have a lot of PLHIV, counselors, HIV doctors, advocates and supporters who you can talk to.




"We act FAST when we CARE"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: