To Disclose or Not?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:53 AM
I was asked by a fellow poz before if he should disclose to a person who he is dating at the moment his HIV status. I told him not yet. I told him to know the person first before even revealing himself to him.

I think I am right. Tag once told me that the only thing that is punishable by law in any relationship is by not disclosing his HIV status when there is a possibility of infecting his partner. In the Republic Act 8504 or The Philippine AIDS Prevention and Control Act of 1998, it states:

Article VI SEC. 34. Disclosure to Sexual Partners – Any person with HIV is obliged
to disclose his/her HIV status and health condition to his/her spouse or
sexual partner at the earliest opportune time.

I know it is hard for most of us to disclose especially to somebody who is potentially a partner whom we think we can spend the rest of lives with. But it is better to be honest. With our disease, comes a great responsibility not to spread it around anymore.

HIV stops with us and if the person won't accept us for who we are and what we have, then we should be thankful that we at least know from the very start the kind of relationship we are getting into in the first place.




Credit:
The Philippine AIDS Prevention and Control Act of 1998