Help Yourself To Stand Up

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:17 AM
When I was diagnosed to have AIDS last September, I told myself that I have to do everything to fight back. I know that it's going to be a long fight but I have to do my part. There is no reason not to. My support system is strong. Tag loves me. His family and my family are very supportive. We can afford the treatments and lab tests. My health then relies only on me. There are no other obstacles.

1. OI's are Not Allowed!

I had recurrent pneumonia and oral thrush before, and this time I won't let that happen to me again. I am weakened by my the virus living in me, but it's host, me, that is stronger now. I can't allow them to happen to me anymore.

First, I know any OI's will make the CD4 go low again so why even have them when the goal of the ARV's is to make the CD4 count go up. I've been more careful than ever, although I am not as paranoid as before. I am trying to live as normal as possible, but I know that the OI's are there ready when we are not paying attention to them.

Second, the cost of having OI's is heavy on the pocket. Treatment, tests and hospitalizations are expensive. They are a burden to both you and your family. They make you get depressed. So why even have it.

Third, having OI's might compound the treatment with ARV's. I know some OI's treatments can have reactions with the ARV's. The medications might weaken the effects of the ARV's, thereby weakening your defense system.

2. Believe in Your Doctors! 

When Dr. DR first talked to me, she asked me about how I feel about the medicines. I told her that there is still no cure but I strongly believe in the medicines. It is all about faith now. I still have a strong belief in them that I make sure that I follow all the doctor's instructions on when to take them. I understand compliance and adherence. I know the repercussions in case I will skip, miss or delay my med time. I am  scared of my defense system to the virus going down. I am also scared about the side effects that would come out. I am also scared that if I delay or miss a dose, my HIV strain will be resistant to my ARV's and I have to change to another cocktail and start all over again with all the monitoring of blood tests and the side effects and the costs that they will incur.

It is also important to ask your doctors if you have doubts. I, myself have to write down 10 questions every consultation for my doctor. I read a lot of literature online, but Western researches are usually applicable to Asians. Our doctors have more experience in the country. They know what is right for us. They know what works for us.

3. I Stay Positive. Tags dad talked to me and told me that his coworker was HIV positive and still working. He said that everything will be alright. I was glad.

From that time on I told myself that I will get better. There is no other way but to get out of this rut. When you're down there is no other way to go but up. I am hopeful, I told DR. DR, and I am on my best health ever now because of the ARV's. I told her that I don't even think of my ARV's as medicines. I think of them like vitamins. It will take time I know for my CD4 to go up, but I have an entire lifetime, so why worry about it when I know that it will someday go above the cutoff. Why worry about it when I know that I am now in my best health, that love is overflowing around me no matter what and I have a good life ahead of me.

4. Focus on Prevention.


a. Know your limitations. Stop your vices. No to drinking of alcoholic beverages or smoking. Know what is healthy. This is your second life already so why waste it again. Get enough sleep, maybe 8 hours is best.

b. Eat right. Up to now, I think of people with AIDS as thin and sickly so I make sure I eat a lot and I eat healthy. Before I started taking my ARV's I started eating 6-7 meals a day. I prepared myself and forced myself to eat more. Now I am always hungry. I gained 30 pounds and I look better to a lot of people. I researched on the various food groups that are beneficial to me.

c. Taking Precautions. I am pretty watchful on people who can get me sick. I stay away from people who are coughing, those who have respiratory problems. I am careful about my environment, with dealing with meat and eating raw food. I opted not to have sex now, but in case it happens, sex with protection only. I make sure that I get all my vaccinations done on a regular basis. I try to avoid crowded places and I always bring hand sanitizers when I go to the hospital. I am conscious about hygiene.

It all boils down to this. We all need to be healthy again. There is no other way. Our families and friends are just there to support us but we, alone can help ourselves. We alone can make ourselves better. We then should do whatever it takes to fight and recover as soon as possible. Help yourself to stand up and be an inspiration to everybody!




FOR TOPIC SUGGESTIONS, please email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com
DONATE to The Love FundThe Love Fund