Worried About HIV in the Philippines

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:00 AM
Hi there. 

I am travelling to the philippines soon to carry out some volunteer work rebuilding houses destroyed by the Typhoon in November. I have not disclosed my illness as i wasn't sure whether i would be discriminated against as i was unsure what the stigma around HIV is like in the Philippines. Could you enlighten me a bit about how the situation is generally there? I fear being outcast if i am upfront or if someone sees my med. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

MR R

POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi Mr. R.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for reading the blog.

First of all thanks for doing volunteer work in rebuilding houses in Leyte. Our country needs good people like you as Leyte is still rebounding back from the calamity.

Now with regards to your concern, you don't need to worry. The HIV law is strong here so you don't have to disclose your status to anyone. Even immigration here is lax when it comes to visitors who are HIV positive. Just be discreet about your medicines in your luggages and bring prescription for them. When you are here, you can even take your medicines in front of peers. Like what I said you don't have to tell them your status and people here generally don't know anything about ARV's. People usually are polite and won't ask you directly what you are taking. But in case they do, just tell them that you are taking you daily vitamins.

Trust me, HIV is not talked about here in the country, more so, the ARV's, so don't worry about stigma and all. Just do you job when you come here and you will be perfectly fine.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy

"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: