Email 26

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 4:20 PM


"Hi there!

I have read your blogs and it is indeed educational. I have been tested about a month ago and I have been to RITM for the baseline testing. My CD4 count is 181 and I am only waiting for the sputum test result. I would like to know if will RITM be submitting me for a viral load testing. Because I really would like to monitor the status of my progress once I start taking ARV. I just thought that it would be ideal to know my "current" condition before taking meds, and then would get another set of CD4 and viral load tests after around 3 or 6 months of medications. 

I just need to know if viral loading will be done for me in RITM. If not, can I request for a viral loading test?Is that for free?I hope you could help me with my concerns. Right now, I am taking things one day at time. Much as worrying, regrets and anxiaety would love to really set in, I just cannot entertain negative thoughts right now. Because there's no other way but to MOVE ON. ;)

I am glad to know you here and I hope you can help me out with my quesstions. 

Salamat!

XXX"


POZZIEPINOY'S REPLY


Hi XXX,


First of all thank you for your email and I am happy that you find it educational. That is really the intention of my blog, to share both my experiences and my researches, to give hope to everybody that life is worth living for even with HIV.

I am glad that you have RITM as your hub. The staff there are so friendly that whenever I go there I feel that they are all part of my family. 

Regarding your baseline tests, what RITM can offer only for free are the baseline tests and the CD4 test. The viral load test is a separate test which is really necessary for you to determine for baseline information and for comparison later on. Unfortunately, the VL test is not free. It usually costs around P6,000-7,5000 (sorry, figures are sometime confusing, but I’m pretty sure about the range). If you want to get it just ask the staff or your doctor that you want to have it and are willing to pay for it. That’s what I did. 

Regarding frequent checking of CD4 and VL, Dr. Ditangco said you can take them as frequent as possible, however, you can get better results if CD4 be taken every 6 months and VL every year. In RITM, the CD4 tests are free every 6 months under the PhilHealth OHAT (out patient HIV/AIDS Treatment) package and in case you want to get it every 3 months, then you have to pay for it (P3,000-3,500).

Im proud that you are taking it easy and taking it a day at time. With that attitude of yours I know, you will get better fast. Don’t entertain bad thoughts. Our lives will get better even though we have this disease inside of us. You’re absolutely right... that there is no way to go but to move on. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and soon, like most of us, you will come out a better person.

If you have more questions just email me again. I am more than willing to help you out.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy




FOR TOPIC SUGGESTIONS, please email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com
DONATE to The Love FundThe Love Fund