Email 31: OFW Letter

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 6:11 PM

I received this email last week and since I thought, I would be going to RITM this week, I told the person to wait for my answer. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to go this week because of my tight schedule at work so today I just decided to call Dr. Ditangco, my doctor and the head of the RITM-ARG and Ellen Domingo, one of the staff nurse, also in RITM-ARG.

My reply to his email is at the bottom of this email trail:


INITIAL EMAIL

"Hello Pozziepinoy,

Mag ask lng po sana me kung pde ba iship abroad ung ARVs? (I would like to ask if it's possible for ARV's to be shipped abroad?) 

I’m diagnosed with HIV last XXX since I’m an OFW. I’m not eligible sa ARV in my host country and I’m wondering if I can outsource it from Manila.

If prescription or reports or confirmation are needed I can provide them.

Thank you,
XXX"


POZZIEPINOY’S REPLY

"Hi XXX,

Hi. Thanks for the email. Quick question though. Where were you diagnosed? Here in the Phil or there?

Pozziepinoy"


XXX’s REPLY

"Hi,

I’ve been diagnosed here last month only. Do u want me to send the result?

Thanks,
XXX"


POZZIEPINOY’S REPLY

The RITM staff is asking which country you’re in now? And whats ur cd4 count?

Pozziepinoy

XXX’S REPLY:

Hello.

Thank you sa reply. Ito po ung history.

XXX, 2012 - diagnosed
XXX- Cd4 = 280 and 24%

I was recommended to start treatment immediately unfortunately being a non resident of XXX I am not eligible to any benefits.

I was informed that I can try to outsource it to back to my own country.

I was prescribed with 
Nevimune 200mg tab
Tenofovir & EM 200/300 mg tab (Truvada)

Im informed as well that I can’t take Atripla since I’m on shifting work kaya ung BD daw ng puwede sa akin 


Thank you,
XXX

POZZIEPINOY’S REPLY

Hi XXX,

Sorry for the long delay of my response. 

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to go to RITM this week but instead I called Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG and Ellen Domingo, one of the staff nurses there. 

According to Dr. Ditangco, before they can give you any FREE ARV’s coming from the Philippines, you need to be retested here again in the country for HIV as this is required by the government and in the OHAT (Out Patient  HIV/AIDS Treatment) package. You also have to undergo all lab tests in the hub as part of the screening process. Third, the doctors here will decide on the ARV’s to give you not the prescribed ones in XXX. Once you submit all the requirements necessary, then they can give you the FREE ARV’s which you can bring back to XXX. When it comes to shipping, you have to ask the couriers there if they allow shipment of ARV’s coming from here, if not then you have to come home and you can make an arrangement with RITM if they would allow you to bring a 6 month or a 1 year supply from Manila to XXX. She said that they had bad experiences with couriers as there are some countries that do not allow shipment of ARV’s.

I talked to Ellen Domingo earlier and she said the same thing like what Dr. D said. Another option is that you look for an AIDS Foundation there where you can get free ARV’s. If they won’t give you because you are a non resident there, then there is no other way but to go home and do what Dr. Ditangco wants you do.

You don’t need to stay here long though. A little more than two weeks may be enough to finish everything. You can bring your HIV documents and your CD4 result too if you want.

I wish I was able to answer all your questions. Feel free to email me again.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy



FOR TOPIC SUGGESTIONS, please email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com
DONATE to The Love FundThe Love Fund