Email 45: About CD4 and Viral Load Test

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 7:37 PM


Good afternoon!! I'm XXX. I have partner newly diagnose HIV positive while I'm HIV negative

I have question. Kapag nakuha na po ba ang CD4 count kasama ba lagi ang viral count? Kasi mejo di gaano naexplain ng doctor siguro kasi madami kasi patient. RITM-ARG Alabang po kami pumunta. CD4 count is 77 then wait pa namin result sa sputum test 1week before magstart ng arv treatment.

(Translation: I’m XXX. I have a partner who was newly diagnosed to be HIV positive and I am HIV negative. I have a question. If you get the CD4 count, does it need the viral count? It wasn’t explained fully by the doctor maybe because there were lots of patients. We went to RITM-ARG in Alabang. His CD4 count is 77 and we have to wait for the sputum test result one week before he starts his ARV treatment).

As of now binigyan muna ng mga antibiotic then di pa masyado inexplain kung paano sya iinumin.. Si Ate Ellen na lang tinanong namin... I have many question po can u txt me on my number XXX

(Translation: As of now he was give with antibiotics however it wasn’t fully explained on how to take them. We asked Ate Ellen about it. I have many questions so can you textme at my number XXX


XXX


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi XXX,

Thanks for your email.

Let me answer your question.

Lets talk about the CD4 and the Viral Load. The CD4 is usually the first test that is being asked of you to do to determine the level of your immune system. The CD4 will also determine if you need to be prescribed with ARV's. Some treatment hubs provide free CD4 testing which they include fast in the OHAT package of PhilHealth. Viral Load however, is usually is being prescribed at the end of one year of treatment to be included in the OHAT package of PhilHealth, since it is the most expensive of all HIV tests. However, if you have the financial ability to pay for it, it is advisable to tell your doctor that you want it. By doing so, you will know your baseline viral load at the start of ARV treatment.

I am sorry that doctors or some staff of treatment hubs are sometimes too preoccupied with lots of things that they forget to give you guys the proper explanation on what to do with prescribed lab tests and the prophylaxis. I do understand your concern, however don't be deterred by this alone. You know what I do every time I go for a consultation with my doctor? I write everything down. I write all my questions so that I won't forget anything. I ask them everything, things that I know I will ask myself when I come home. I ask my doctor to clarify things so there won't be any confusion.

I hope I was able to answer your question. I wish that your partner's immune system rebound fast. Just trust his doctors and believe that he will get well.

Feel free to email me again, in case you have other concerns.


Stay healthy,


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012


Credits: