Email 46: How To Improve the Immune System

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:48 PM

Hi Pozziepinoy,

Paano ko malalaman if nag iimprove na ang immune system ko aside from the test? Nag tatake na ko ng ARV's for almost a month. Paano ko mapapalakas pa ang immune system ko? Thanks po...

(Translation: How would I know if my immune system is improving aside from the test? I am taking ARV's for almost a month now. How can I make my immune system stronger? Thanks po... )

POZZIEPINOY'S REPLY

Hi!

Thanks for your email.

First, let us define what immune system is.

The immune system is a system of biological structures and processes within a person that protects against disease. The immune system is the body's defense against infectious organisms and other invaders. Through a series of steps called the immune response, the immune system attacks organisms and substances that invade body systems and cause disease. Your immune system, or your body's internal ability to fend off bacteria, viruses and disease, is a vital facet of your biological structure.

You may have concerns about your immune system if you seem to catch everything that is going around and it seems to take a longer time for you to recover.

Here are signs and symptoms that you have a weak immune system:

1. General Symptoms:

The most common manifesting signs and symptoms of an impaired or inadequately working immune system are:
  • Chronic and frequent infections are the most significant manifestation.
  • Fungal and bacterial infections, allergic reactions to almost anything, and benign growths in the body all point to a low immunity disorder. 
  • Suffering from a recurrent infection is a vital sign that you have a weak immune system, since the body fails to recognize this recurring infection and stop it effectively.
  • Constant fatigue, tiredness, and lethargy indicate a low immunity.
  • Insomnia, depression, and dark circles under the eyes also signify that one is suffering from a weakened immune system.
2. Specific Symptoms

    a. Constantly getting the flu. Usually a grown adult should get the flu 1-3 times each season with each time lasting around 3-4 days. If you're getting sick more often than that, it is a clear sign that your immune system is weak.
    b. Chronic fever
    c. fatigue
    d. Insomnia
    e. skin problems
    c. chronic diarrhea
    d.  anorexia
    e. weight loss
    f. swollen lymph nodes
    g. symptoms of severe infections like pneumonia, meningitis, encephalitis 

In that case, if you are still experiencing these symptoms, your immune system is still weak. That answers your first question.From my experience, when my CD4 was still around 70, I was always sickly, always had diarrhea, always had flu, always had fever. At that time, I also had pneumonia. Eight months after taking my ARV's, I've never been sick, even once so I was thinking that my immune system was recovering. When I got my CD4 on my 8th month, it was 487! Almost 700% increase. I was right that my immune system has recovered. Up to now, I've never been sick and it is almost my one year of taking my ARV's. 

Of course, the best way to know your level of immune system is having a consultation with your doctor and doing a series of lab tests. But based on my experience, you will know the level of your immune system if you are not getting sick anymore.

Regarding your second question on how to improve your immune system, you can the blog entries that I posted before:

      2. Don't get Sick!
      3. This is For You
      4. Above 350
      5. Full Time Job
      7. Just Don't get Sick
      8. Sleep and HIV

I hope I was able to answer your questions. Feel free to email me again if you have other queries.

Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012


Credits:
6. Image by FreeDigitalPhotos.net