Emai 48: HIV and Pregnancy

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:18 PM
Hi Pozziepinoy,

I have come across your blog just today, and I am very thankful to have discovered and read through it. It gives a flick of hope to someone, who was recently been diagnosed to be HIV+. 

I have a woman friend who is pregnant and she maybe HIV positive too.
Some topics I suggest, if anyone of your followers can give light:

1. HIV in pregnancy

          a. where and how to get tested?
          b. how managed? would the infectious doctors have allied OB-GYN to help manage the situation
          c. how to keep the baby HIV-free
          d. any other helpful entries

2. How is the Philippine HIV community going to get benefit from the below (link shows new drug to manage HIV with single pill).


Thanks,
XXX


POZZIEPINOY'S REPLY

Hi XXX,

Thanks for your email. I am glad to give "a flick of hope" to you.

Regarding your suggestions, I talked to Ate Beth of RITM-ARG in Alabang and she said she can assist you and your pregnant friend with both your concerns. Since it is a special case, she will see to it that she will assist you when you and your woman friend would go to RITM-Satellite Clinic. 

I asked her about your questions and she said that they had cases about HIV and Pregnancy before. She told me that the pregnant woman can get an HIV test in RITM Satellite in Malate, Manila and the fee there is P500 but she can get the results in 2 to 3 hours. She said that they can't test the status of the unborn baby yet until the baby is 3 months old post delivery. She added that it is possible that the woman and baby didn't get it and it is also possible that the baby didn't get it even though the mom got the virus. She said that it really depends on the mom's system, so there is nothing that doctors can do to keep the baby HIV free.

Ate Beth also said that RITM Satellite has as OB-GYNE doctor who will definitely coordinate with the infectious doctors there. I texted Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG and one of the best HIV doctors in the country and she told me that she will accept the woman's case so she can monitor the woman and the baby's status. I wish you would reach out to me ASAP so we can arrange for the woman's immediate consultation with Dr. Ditangco.

Regarding your question about the four in one pill, I believe that the Philippines can't afford that pill yet. The Global Fund and PhilHealth can only afford cheap ARV's as of this time to dispense them to PLHIV's in the Philippines for free.

Here are some Related Posts that you can read:

1. How To Go To RITM satellite Clinic
2. Beggar's Can't Be Choosers

I hope I was able to answer your queries. Feel free to email me again.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: