Email 488: Concerns About HIV Test and Symptoms

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 3:31 PM
Hi Pozziepinoy!

I'm am residing here in the Marianas island but I had an unprotected sex with a commercial sex worker on January 2012 when I had a vacation there in the Philippines. 



After 3 months, I suffered a severe sinus problem with ear infection, and of course sore throat. I had a checked up with different ENT Doctors. They gave me medications and it was gone after like 5 months. But after that I felt itchy on some part of my face, body and hands.  Then bumps started growing on my head like pimples. There's two on my lips that blisters. So I started searching about HIV issues and symptoms. And BOOM! Almost all what I felt is in the checklists. I felt paranoid that I decided to have an executive check up there at The Medical City on the second week of November, 2013 and ask for a Voluntary HIV test too. Everything is fine, except that there are irregularities seen on my left kidney and my RBC is above the normal range. 

My HIV test comes out NONREACTIVE with the remarks: Screening kit used: HIV Ag/Ab Combo (ARCHITECT) with HIV Proficiency Certificate No.  

My questions are: 

1). Are these test conclusive after 22 months exposure? 
2). How come that bumps and blisters are still popping out on my head and face which I searched on-line is really similar to the folliculitis which is very common symptom of  HIV? 3) Why the manufacturer of Ag/Ab combo (ARCHITECT) which is ABBOT issued a disclaimer in the internet that says: If the results are inconsistent with clinical evidence, additional testing is suggested to confirm the test? 

I am considering this HIV test conclusive but I'm still bothered by the symptoms. Frankly speaking, i'm scared to do the re-test.

Scared


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi Scared.

Thank you for your email.

Let me answer your questions in the order that you asked them.

1. Yes, your HIV test is already conclusive, 22 months post exposure.
2. HIV has non specific symptoms. Whatever you may be experiencing maybe non related to HIV. You may seek for medical consult as you maybe experiencing something else.
3. Like what I said, your symptoms may be non related to HIV. The HIV test detects HIV antibodies and if you were not exposed to HIV, then your body won't produce any antibodies for it. 

I don't want to expound on this, since I am no doctor, but if I were you, I would consult a doctor and have your self checked for your symptoms. You can also have another HIV test to calm down your nerves.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy






"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: