Email 384: On HIV and STD Tests

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 6:03 PM

hi there. 

i've been reading a lot of posts here lately and i am really thankful for all the information i have gained. however i still have a lot of questions. 


honestly, i am really scared. i don't recall having symptoms of any STDs / HIV (though i think i had a yeast infection but i wasn't sexually active that time and it surprisingly disappeared after a week or so. i think it was probably because i took a lot of antibiotics 
that time? i don't know) so anyway here's my story.. i've had 8 sexual partners (but just once or twice) in the past 4 years. i am pretty sure all of them are clean except for two guys that i dated last 2009. i don't have any unusual sicknesses except for that yeast infection, my menstral cycle is normal, my girl part looks normal, but i am still scared. 

now here are my questions which i hope you could somewhat answer. please, i am in a stable relationship and i love him so much. just admitting to him that i had a lot of partners crushed me, what more if he learned that i was not protected?  i want to ease my worries regarding this issue. now here are my concerns:

1. i wanted to check for STDs, all types since according what i've read on the internet some have no symptoms at all. are there any accredited clinics that provides this (those that are affordable and within metro manila)
2. do i have to screen myself for all STD types? or are there STD types that i could skip since i don't display symptoms until now.
3. i noticed that you've been advocating the RITM satellite clinic. do they also offer STD tests? what are the costs?
4. regarding HIV i wanted to take a test at a hospital, can you recommend some and their costs? sorry, free services kinda scares me.

please help me. i want to ensure me and my boyfriend's safety. i beg of 
you. thank you so much..

XXX


POZZIEPINOY'S RESPONSE

Hi.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for sharing your story with me and my readers.

Let me answer all your concerns in the order that you asked them.

1. You can go and get all STD tests in any of the big hospitals here in Manila. Usually, in the hospitals, you will need a referral so if I were you, look for an infectious disease doctor who will help you with the prescription.

2. It is best to get everything done in one sitting. Why not take all the STD tests since you had unprotected sex before. Anyway it is a win-win situation. It is your health. Better to be proactive about it. It is also for your peace of mind.

3. In RITM Satellite Clinic in Malate, STD tests are also being offered. The rates of the tests vary so it is best that you contact the clinic.

4. HIV Test in the hospitals range from P500 to P1,500 depending on which hospital you go to.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other concerns.

Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy




"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-

If you have comments or questions, please click this link:


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: 

Tags: HIV Manila, HIV Philippines, AIDS Manila, AIDS Philippines, HIV/AIDS Manila, HIV/AIDS Philippines