Boost Your Own Immune System!

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:35 AM


People have been asking me what I’ve been doing to help boost my immune system. Yesterday my CD4 count shot up to 487 from 70 in 8 months. Even my 4 other doctors were shocked when they heard about it. They said that when the CD4 is so low, the CD4 can’t get up that fast like mine. I’ve read that too before but being an optimistic person, I really don’t care about counts because what is important for me is that I don’t ever get sick at all!



So looking back, and to answer questions of my fellow pozzies, I want to give a recap of what I have been doing.

1. Strong Faith.

a. Believe in your doctors. Report everything to them, even minor symptoms. We can’t be “quack doctors” like before. Ask them about supplements you heard or read before taking them.
b. Believe in your medicines. Treat them with respect.
c. Believe in yourself. You alone can strengthen your immune system. Believe that you can get better soon. Be patient. You will get better but it will take time. Be optimistic. Your CD4 will increase too. Be positive and have a good disposition in life. Love others.

2. ARV Adherence. 

a. This is the most important.
b. Be strict with time. Take your ARV’s at the same time everyday or every night.
c. Don’t be late in taking your ARV’s. Have the habit of taking it at the exact time. I take all my ARV’s at exactly 10pm. I set my phone alarm to 9:58pm to give me time to run to my pill box. I always wait for the exact time. I don’t take them in advance at all.
d. Don’t miss any of your intakes. This is important.
e. Set all alarms at home to the time you need to take your meds. Get a pillbox. There are daily, weekly and monthly pillboxes. Choose one that suits you. This would help you prepare in advance your ARV’s once your alarm is on.
f. Bring all ARV’s when travelling. I always bring 3 sets in all my luggages when I am travelling. In case I lose one luggage, I still have two pillboxes.
g. When going out make sure you have one daily pillbox ready in your pocket. Make sure to buy a bottled water and make sure that it is ready when your time of intake is near.

3. Don’t Get sick!

a. Always remember that HIV replicates faster when we get sick!
b. Be vigilant. Stay away from people who are sick especially when your CD4 is still low.
c. Disinfect everything.
d. Use hand sanitizers or wash your hands frequently with soap.
e. Don’t eat uncooked food. Avoid eating in “turo-turo” for the meantime.
f. Wear masks when going to hospitals especially when your CD4 is low.
g. Avoid crowded places. If you're taking public transportation, avoid rush hours when it gets too crowded.
h. Wear shoes or flip flops every time. Don’t go barefooted on dirty floors or dirt or soil.
i. If possible, avoid having cats as pets. Keep your dogs well trimmed and clean areas where they poop. Use gloves whenever handling feces and urine of pets.
j. Wear a condom when you have sexual intercourse. We can have a superinfection which is another strain of HIV aside from the one you have that is resistant to our ARV’s. Know the person you are going to have sex first. Try to be monogamous or only if possible, abstain from sex
k. Have good oral hygiene. Brush regularly. Gargle with listerine or any mouthwash.
l. Shower when you come home from outside or from work.

4. Eat healthy foods.

a. Have a balanced diet.
b. Keep a regular supply of natural probiotics in your diet but ask your doctor first. I am still on yogurt and Yakult everyday.
c. Drink at least 8 glasses of water everyday
d. You can try supplements like multivitamins, vitamin C, grape seed, vitamin E, selenium and other antioxidants. Make sure to ask your doctor first before taking anything! Always remember your body is already bombarded with lots of medicines so be careful in taking anything. Believe in your doctors not in what other pozzies will tell you to take. You don’t want to complicate your condition. Remember too that what works with one person might not work for you so just ask your doctor first!

5. Exercise.

a. Try to add cardio workouts like walking, running, biking or swimming on a weekly basis. I do 2-3x a week aerobic exercises every week.
b. Do resistance training or functional training at least 3x a week. I do 5x a week of strength training up to now.
c. Be active. Do something everyday to increase your metabolism.
d. If you have pre-existing conditions with HIV, ask your doctor first for clearance for any exercise!

6. Remove all vices.

a. Avoid cigarette smoking
b. Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages
c. Don’t do drugs
d. Don't use recreational substances during sex, like poppers or ecstasy, etc.

7. Sleep.

a. Sleep or rest for a good 8 hours every night.
b. Take naps whenever necessary.

8. Vaccinations

a. Get the once a year flu shot: ask your doctor first!
b. Finish your Hepa B immunizations. Ask your doctor first. Better to have your hepa B vaccinations in the hubs because they do double dose injections all the time for HIV patients.
c. Meningococcemia vaccination. Ask your doctor first!
d. HPV vaccination. Ask your doctor first!

9. Avoid Stress

a. Avoid any kind of stress. Stress from work, stress from relationships, emotional stress, etc.
b. Learn how to relax. Do mind-body exercises like yoga, tai-chi, etc. During my 1st month of taking ARV's, I practiced relaxation through tai-chi. 
c. Get a relaxing massage.
c. Relax by having leisure and recreational times, like watching a movie, going on trips, etc.
d. Learn how to meditate for total relaxation. My brother from the US taught me some meditation techniques used by monks.
e. Get a hobby. Photography, reading books, etc.
f. Get into sports. Play basketball, swimming, tennis, golf, etc.
g. Don't procrastinate. 
h. Take a day at a time.

10. Stay Happy

a. Don't be serious all the time. Have fun time with friends.
b. Enjoy life. Enjoy families and loved ones
c. Enjoy the beauty of nature
d. Love each day.
e. Stop being critical of others. Be a friendly. Be loving.
f. Be positive in your outlook. Look at the bright side of things.
g. Have peace of mind. Do things the right way so you'll have peace of mind.
h. Live your life like it's your last day!

10. Help Others!

a. It comes back to you 10 fold.
b. If you want to help others, let me know. Donate to our Love Fund. Volunteer in hubs. Be a certified counselor. Teach and educate others.
c. Trust me this works!



© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012


Credits: