Road to Recovery!

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 1:29 PM


This poz was referred to me by a fellow friend poz. He told me that he needs my help since I am more experienced in counselling pozzies. What Dra. Ditangco told me is that peer counsellors are the best HIV counsellors because we all know what we are talking about. We all share the same experiences with HIV and or HIV/AIDS, with treatment hubs or with ARV’s, with prophylaxis, with all the lab tests, etc. I agree.

I started counselling him 2 months ago and I told him to go to RITM-ARG in Alabang since I am bothered by his low CD4 (below 50) count. He said he will but later on I found out that he opted to go to another hub which is closer to him. He told me that his family is worried that in case there will be reactions to his ARV’s, that hub will be more accessible to him because of its proximity. I completely agreed with him. Anyway, I believed that every hub is the same.

Once in a while I would text him and ask him and everytime, he would tell me that his hub hasn’t prescribed him any ARV’s yet, for a lot of reasons. Counselling, his doctor didn’t show up ad his session was cancelled, he had allergies or another illness. 

Three days ago, he texted that he is worried because he already has blisters. I once again asked him if his hub has prescribed him with ARV’s and he said not yet but he will go there on that day he texted me. Two days ago, he told me that he has chicken pox and the doctor once again didn’t prescribe him with ARV’s. He said that his doctor wants his chicken pox cured first as the ARV’s might have effects on the antibiotic that he has been taking. Now I really got confused.

Yesterday, I talked to him again and asked his condition. He said he is pretty worried. So, I texted Dr. Ditangco and asked if it is really not possible for him not take ARV’s while on antibiotics for his chicken pox. I explained to her that his CBC is normal and that his CD4 is below 50. Dr. Ditangco texted back and said that he needs to have ARV’s ASAP since his CD4 count is so low, even with his current illness.
Because of this I forced this poz to go to RITM-ARG. I told him that he will get more sick because his immune system is still not recovering. I told him that since he already waited for more than a month in his current hub, he might as well try to seek for a second opinion. I told him that it is his life and he has to make a good choice.

He confered with his parents and they all agreed to go. I texted Dr. Ditangco and asked her if she will be there in the clinic but she said that she won’t but just go there first thing in the morning and tell her staff that she sent him to get ARV’s. 

Today, at 5am, we were already texting. I texted my friend nurses, Ate Ellen and Maram and told them about this poz. They replied that they will assist him. Dra asked for his full name and later she called the clinic to expect the new patient.

After 2 hours, I texted the poz again and he said that he was prescribed with his ARV’s. They gave him 3 months supply fast! Great!

I called him and congatulated him. I told him that he will get better soon just believe his doctors in RITM. He was so grateful. He was so excited to take his ARV’s.

I texted Dr. Ditangco, Ate Ellen and Ms. Maram and thanked them all.

I am so happy today. Another person has been saved and is on his way to recovery!

Mission accomplished!



Categories: