Seborrheic Dermatitis

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 6:48 AM


Well, I thought it was dandruff even though I frequently take a shower. But this has been happening to my scalp since last year. I really thought it was dandruff and I enjoy removing the scales with my fingers. Then this year I had small patches of dried skin beside my nostrils and sometime on the bridge of my nose in between my eyebrows. Good thing I have several tinactin and trosyd at home so I just liberally apply them when they appear. They subside but if I stop using them, the scaling recurs. Frequent washing of the face also helps to remove the sweat from my face.

I read about it and found out that it is HIV related. Well, good thing I have this ointments because in some persons living with HIV, the skin disease becomes extreme.

I found this from the web:

One of the most common skin diseases experienced by HIV-infected individuals is seborrheic dermatitis.

Causes

Seborrheic dermatitis is a common disease that affects 2%-4% of the general population. However, up to 85% of HIV-infected people experience seborrheic dermatitis at some time after they acquire the infection. The cause of seborrheic dermatitis is unknown, but many investigators believe the yeast, Pityrosporum ovale, plays a role in the disease. It is further postulated that the alteration of the immune system in HIV-AIDS changes the way the skin responds to this yeast leading to the higher rate of infection.

Appearance

Seborrheic dermatitis causes redness of the skin, which produces a yellow, waxy scale or flake. In people without HIV-AIDS, the rash of seborrheic dermatitis occurs mainly on the scalp, and around the eyebrows, ears, and mustache. In HIV-infected individuals, the rash also appears on the chest, back, armpits, and groin.

Treatment

Seborrheic dermatitis is treated with antifungal shampoos and topical corticosteroids. These treatments are also used for HIV-infected individuals who need to use them frequently. People with HIV-AIDS who are being treated with antiviral therapy have fewer outbreaks of seborrheic dermatitis. In many cases, the severity of the rash corresponds with the degree of clinical deterioration.

Seeing a Doctor

A health care provider should evaluate cases of seborrheic dermatitis that do not respond to typical over-the-counter treatments. However, this does not necessarily imply that a person is HIV-positive. Someone with HIV-AIDS should notify their physician if they have a red, flaking rash that is getting worse so they can get appropriate treatment.

In my case, I reported it to my doctor and she said to continue what procedures I am doing. So now, I wash my hair as frequent as possible to remove the sweat. I wash my face too whenever it is sweaty. At night, I apply my tinactin ointment over the affected ares on my face. Well, everything works.

We should always take of our body. We have a responsibility to check all signs and symptoms and report them to our doctors. Our doctors know best!

Categories: