Can I Work Again?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:22 AM

That is the question that bothered me when I got sick. When I was bedridden with pneumonia, I asked myself if I can really go back to a job that I love so much. Will I ever interact again with other people now that I am very vulnerable to infections? Will I ever function normally as before?

I asked my doctor in the hospital and she said yes. I can go back to work but let my body recover first from pneumonia. My body is the top priority. It will take time but it is the best way. That's what I did. I gave myself a good three months to recover. I rested at home, worked out in the confines of my room, ate the right kinds of food, became vigilant of my surroundings to prevent illnesses. I told myself that I have to be strong first physically before I face the world. I have to be healthy to face again my workplace.

The first step to my recovery was to be physically healthy and strong. I did my job. I believed in my doctors. I had frequent checkups and I report everything to them. I believed in my ARV's. I have perfect adherence to my meds. I believed in myself that I am going to be healthy and strong again. I took all precautions. Studied all angles of the different infections. Became knowledgeable on how to take care of myself. I ate the right kinds of food. I monitored all side effects of the meds. I jotted down everything that I felt during the day. I did my exercise programs. My health became an obsession.

The second step to my recovery is to becoming a useful and productive individual again. Work. I had to work again! I know that I can't transfer my virus to other people at work because my business doesn't entail any instance wherein there is a possibility of exchange of bodily fluids although I know I have to protect others in case that minute event happens. The only thing that would be an obstacle is that people can transfer their infections to me. I can easily get airborne viruses from other people if I am not careful. I can also get infections through contact so I have to take all the precautions necessary to avoid them.

On my fourth month of taking ARV's, I conditioned myself of working again. I planned everything... on how to clean my workplace every time, on keeping myself protected from even the simplest colds and flu, on not to be tired from work, on my schedules of my ARV's and prophylaxis. I disclosed to three of my coworkers my HIv status so they will understand in case i am sick or not feeling well. I took my time. Slowly I started working. I have my own business so it was not hard for me to do it slowly. I loved my job before and I know the fulfillment of working again will strengthen me in a lot ways. It is a way for me to tell myself that I am the same old me.

The rest is history. I am back to work now and enjoying every moment of it. I still have the virus living within me and I respect it. I stop working when I get sick from a simple cold. If I am tired, I rest. I don't get myself exhausted from my work duties. I still clean my workplace. I make it a point to be vigilant all the time. My health is still my priority.

I know that it is hard at first but i firmly believe that everything will be ok. My advice to everyone who just recovered from their opportunistic infections, to take it easy at first and give your body to recuperate before going back to work. I know that it is easier said than done but we have to prioritize what is important.

Before going back to work, ask yourself these questions first:

1. Am I physically ready to work again?
2. Will my work schedule be an obstacle to my ARV or prophylaxis adherence?
3. Am I ready to be vigilant of the illnesses and viruses in my work place?
4. Do I know the precautionary measures to avoid illneses at work?
5. Do I know how to protect other people from getting my virus? Do I know the "universal precautions" in case there is a possibility of blood contact or exchange of bodily fluids?
6. Will I respect symptoms of illnesses?
7. Am I willing to disclose my HIV status to my boss or any coworker for them to defend you in case you miss a day or two from work because of an illness, a doctor consultation schedule, a refill day for your ARV's, etc.?

Adjustments to health and work is very important to recovery. I know you can do it. I know that if I was able to do it, YOU TOO CAN!





Credits and References:



FOR TOPIC SUGGESTIONS, please email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com
DONATE to The Love FundThe Love Fund