Making Myself Healthy

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:30 AM
I have a virus inside me. It’s hurting my immune system every day. But I am still alive and I still have control over myself. I can keep myself healthy while waiting for the ARV’s to work. Nothing to waste, because I have all the time in the world. 

Prevent Opportunistic infections. 
  1. I already had PCP a month before and I have to religiously take my daily Cotrimaxozole and my weekly Azithromycin to prevent recurrence. 
  2. While my CD4 is still low, I have to wear mask when going out. I also avoid crowded places. Any respiratory infection may be magnified and hurt me. A little awkward to wear a mask but why is it that in Hong Kong, people wear them in public places. If people stare at me, I just stare back. I stay 6 feet away from friends or visitors, as much as possible. 
  3. Im not immune to toxoplasmosis, so I have to always clean and wash my hands. I can’t deal with uncooked meat. I disinfect when I play with my dogs. 
  4. I can only eat cooked foods. Can’t have diarrhea because of spoiled or dirty food. Fruits are good for me.
  5. Rubbing alcohol is our new air freshener and alcogel is our hand cleanser. 
  6. To prevent oral thrush, I keep a good oral hygiene. They said Listerine is good so I gargle after eating. I brush my teeth 3-4x a day now.
  7. Have to abstain from sexual intercourse. Any STD’s can be lethal. Another strain of HIV can affect treatment.
Weight Management.
  1. I eat as frequent as possible. I eat in small proportions. There are articles saying that once you have HIV/AIDS you have a tendency to lose weight because of the meds, or you’ll have problems with absorption in your GI system or because of depression. Prior to taking my ARV’s I prepared myself by eating 6-7 meals a day. I made it a point that I have schedules for feeding. Right now, I maintain a body weight of 155 pounds. 
  2. I make sure that I workout 3-5x a week to maintain my muscle mass.  I do cardio 3-5x a week for 15 minutes, 4 different abdominal exercises 3-4x a week, and 3-5x of weight training. I do these in the confines of our home. 
  3. I make sure that I regularly take my Multivitamins, Vitamins C and E and fish oil.
  4. I always include fruits and vegetables in my diet. 
Staying Positive.
  1. I educate myself by reading articles and blogs. The internet is full of answers to all the questions I missed to ask my doctor. I take down notes so I can ask my doctor during checkups. It’s me and Tag’s lives and we should be informed about this. Awareness on things about HIV/AIDS helps in alleviating stress and helps in preventing future problems.
  2. I live a day at a time. Worrying about the future too much is not helpful for me. I focus on what I can control which is today. What I know is I have to focus on making myself healthy today. Tomorrow is another day.
  3. I stay active inside our home. Better to be productive than be lazy and just think of all my ordeals. I try to have a good outlook. I cook, I clean the house and serve Tag. That makes me happy. I try to make small accomplishments everyday to boost up my ego.
  4. I read that yoga and meditation is good. I will try that next week. My brother from the U.S. emailed me some meditation exercises that I have to do for 40 days. Might as try them.
  5. By staying healthy now, I know I will soon go back to my previous job, travel again and enjoy life.

FOR TOPIC SUGGESTIONS, please email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com
DONATE to The Love FundThe Love Fund