What is Oral Thrush?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 1:18 PM
Since I was diagnosed, I had this white film on my tongue. There was one instance that my tongue became painful that Dr.T had to prescribe an antifungal pill.

So what is it really? Well I found this article on the net:

"Oral candidiasis (kan-dih-DEYE-uh-suhss), or thrush, is a type of fungal infection inside the mouth. Thrush causes swelling and a thick white coating on your mouth, tongue, throat, and esophagus (The infection is only called oral candidiasis if it appears in your mouth.) Thrush happens when candida,
a fungus that is normally found in the body, grows too much in these areas. It also can overgrow in your vagina. This is called a vaginal yeast infection. Thrush is common in people living with HIV and can be hard to get rid of. Thrush is partly diagnosed by how your mouth looks. A doctor might also take a scraping of the white patches in your mouth that will appear with an infection. Thrush is usually first treated with prescription lozenges and mouth rinses. If this doesn't work or the thrush keeps coming back, antifungal drugs are used. If thrush is not treated, symptoms will last. In very rare cases, untreated thrush may enter the bloodstream and spread throughout the body."


Today, my tongue is pinkish, looking healthy for the first time after a long time. It seems that my daily regimen of cleaning my mouth is helping me to get rid of it, at least temporarily.


1. I brush regularly 3-4x a day usually after meals.
2. I gargle with listerine after brushing or in between brushings
3. I eat yogurt which helps the build up of probiotics 




FOR TOPIC SUGGESTIONS, please email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com
DONATE to The Love FundThe Love Fund