Just Don't Get Sick!!!

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:36 AM

I read it somewhere that colds and flu can make your HIV multiply at a faster pace. I researched it again after a friend of mine who is a pozzie too said he has cough. I found this from an article:

Every time your body has to crank up your immune system to fight an infection, the HIV living inside the immune cells gets cranked up, too. “HIV replicates most effectively within immune-competent cells when these cells are activated,” says Anthony Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the U.S. National Institutes of Health. “When a person gets another infection, the immune system gets activated, or ‘turned on,’ to fight this infection. This activation puts the immune system in a more vulnerable state for the replication of HIV.” So, although the fever and aches and pains related to an infection may be all you’re feeling, what’s going on beneath the surface may include rapidly growing HIV.

This issue is not just a concern for those not on HAART. Although HIV activation is definitely greater in someone with unsuppressed virus, even people on HIV meds who have undetectable viral loads may have problems. Dr. Fauci says that although HAART generally lessens the increase in HIV activation that another infection can cause, if your immune system has to work overtime to fight other infections that activity can end up making your meds less effective at suppressing HIV. So preventing (where possible) or otherwise quickly treating infections may help preserve HAART’s ability to keep HIV in check.

Which infections are of most concern? In general, the infections most likely to boost HIV replication are those that cause body-wide (systemic) symptoms: fever, muscle aches, fatigue and “malaise” — that all-over yucky feeling. You know how you feel when you get a cold or flu or your sinusitis starts acting up? That’s what we’re talking about. These symptoms are indicators that your immune system has been activated enough to likely increase HIV activity.

Those are some reasons why it’s important to prevent infections — and treat them quickly when they do occur.

Prevention is still the best. Due to congestion in public places in Manila, one has to be careful whether you are on ARV's already or not. Almost every quarter is a flu season here in the country so we have to be watchful. Our immune system is weakened already by the virus and we don't want it to be activated all the time when we get an infection. 

This is what I usually do:

1. Always have an alcohol sprayer in my bag, car or main door. 
2. I have a hand sanitizer in my bag, pocket or inside my drawer.
3. I wash my hands whenever possible.
4. I always bring a handkerchief.
5. I always bring a mask (in case of crowding in a public place).
6. I always put in my mind that other people can make me sick so I have to be vigilant all the time!



FOR TOPIC SUGGESTIONS, please email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com

DONATE to The Love FundThe Love Fund