Email 380: Dealing with the Side Effects

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 2:15 PM
Dear Pozziepinoy,

This is me from last night, thank you for the response, when i was experiencing sickness caused by ARV.  I really appreciate that you were able to answer me, and ask some assistance from the doctors and from Gerald as well.  Right now, wala na akong lagnat, this Morning I did not take Neviriapine anymore but still continued with lami/zidu.  At late noon, nawala na rin yung pagduduwal ko, like the usual that I experience for the past 12 days after I stopped Nevirapine, just this morning.

Yet  I still have sour taste bud, maybe because of lami/zidu.  And I'm still having pain on the lower right part of my stomach, since yesterday, I hardly  can move and stand quickly.  I hope this is not a damage on my kidney or liver.  And also headache

I will go back to RITM ARG on November 15, on Friday, 7 days after I stopped Nevirapine,  (I hope my leave will be approved on that date) .

Thank you pozziepinoy for the help.  God bless you.

RC


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi RC.

Thank you for your email. 

The side effects of ARV's are pretty overwhelming and sometimes scary. But all of us need to follow what is being instructed of us by our HIV doctors. We need to follow on the dot and we need to know when to discontinue our medicines.

Nevirapine, can really cause hyperemia or fever. It can also cause rashes. These usually happen within the window period of 14 days. HIV doctors, once the PLHIV reports this, advice to discontinue nevirapine and continue the rest of his medications. Of course, the side effects won't go away as soon as one discontinues nevirapine. The symptoms may linger for a few days and one needs to drink a lot of water to flush out the medicine from his or her body. It is not advisable to take any fever medications or any antihistamine during the ARV trial period unless of course advised by the HIV doctor.

RC, like what Dr. Ditangco and Dr. Pasayan advised when you sent us your message, just stay calm, oral rehydrate and come back to RITM-ARG within 7 stays after discontinuing nevirapine. You will be alright. 


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy







"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: