Email 398: Weight Loss and Side Effects of ARV's

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 10:14 AM
Dear Pozziepinoy,

Hope you are always well and kudos always for the blog.

As you know I'm already on ARV's for 2 months (lami/zido and efavirenz), my doctor said i should not diet, i should eat a lot of meat, vegetables and carbs (rice). This maybe because my CD4 at that time i started my ARV is 155, so i need all the nutrients and my past CBC is kind of low and further going down. However, I'm gaining weight, so the doctor advised me to start exercising, I stand 5'8, before i started my ARV i was 160lbs with a bit of muscles as i gym and play a lot of badminton,  2 months after I gained 10lbs, slowly losing my muscles and getting bigger in the mid-section area. I saw on the blog that you are muscular ( congratulations and that is very impressive!!!) my questions are:

1. How can I lose weight without sacrificing the nutrients i need, my diet is a cup of rice every meal, either meat or fish with vegetables. I take centrum, an additional folic acid and vitamin B. Can I cut on the rice? But my hemoglobin, RBC, and WBC is low. Or what is the best alternative for rice? What diet would you recommend?


2. I would like to exercise, however, with the side effects of the ARV's I always feel dizzy especially if i bend down or tilt my head so its difficult for me to jog, instead I walk, but its uncomfortable and annoying walking with dizzy spells, but still i tried walking every morning if i can fight the dizziness.  I tried going back playing badminton but the same thing i feel dizzy looking and chasing the ball. At times i lift light weight dumb bells at home.

I'm already sick, but I still want to look good, i'm already so down almost zero on my love and sex life, but at least not on my confidence of looking fit and good. 

Thank you always

Lonely44


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi Lonely44.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for sharing your story and your concerns with us.

Let me get down to your questions.

1. I believe that your priority is to have a consultation with your HIV doctor first because of your low haemoglobin and blood count. Zidovudine can cause low haemoglobin count which may cause other physical symptoms, like weakness, dizziness, etc. Your doctor may need to change your cocktail because of this.

2. Your dizzy spells is quite alarming. Once again you need to go and have yourself checked by your HIV doctor. 

3. Once you body has adjusted to your ARV's, then you can start focusing on your other concerns. You can lose that weight fast with proper diet and exercise. But for now, focus first on managing your ARV side effects.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy


"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: