Email 737: My Blood Work

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:22 AM
Dear Pozziepinoy,

Here i am again with some questions, so sorry I'm still adjusting with everything.

Before I started my ARVs my blood count is almost perfect except for a high triglyceride which i was given medication. Hemoglobin is 14.5 (ref range 14-17.5), hematocrit 43 (41.5-50.4), RBC 4.93 (4.5-5.9) and WBC 4.54 (4.4-11.0). After a week, i started on my ARV meds, 3 weeks after i had another blood test and all 4 went down. Using the same range my hemo 12.8, hema 37.4, RBC 4.33 and WBC 3.28. My doctor said i may change medication, but she would like to give me another 3 weeks on the same meds (lami/zido and efavirenz) and was given additional folic acid and B complex vitamin. After 2 weeks (just this week), i had another blood test, i'm so anxious to know how's my blood is responding. All 3 except WBC went further down but slower, hemo 12, hema 35.5, RBC 4.01 and WBC went up a bit to 3.77. My questions are as follows:


1. What does my blood count signify in relation to the ARV meds im taking.
2. My hemoglobin is lower than the ref range, is it low enough for me to experience dizzy spells? 
3. Would you think i would change meds? I'm still adjusting with my present meds, i'm so afraid of a new med adjustment especially with the skin rash breakout.
4. Does it mean i will be given a stronger medication? They say my present med is the first stage, does it mean i will go to the 2nd stage and I heard the 2nd stage med has a bad effect on your kidney. 

I still have to see my doctor next week for these questions but so anxious already to know the answer.

So sorry, every time i was informed of a not so good result my panic mode automatically activates.

Again, thank you always for the support, assistance, love  that you have given us.

Lonely44


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE


Hi Lonely44

Thank you for your email.Thank you for sharing your blood work results to us.

Based on your blood result, the one that will catch an HIV doctor's attention is the haemoglobin level. Still it is pretty low and this maybe attributed to zidovudine. You need to go back to your hub and tell your doctor about it. It may need to be replaced by another ARV which is still on the 1st line regimen. Don't worry, as long as you still have a lot of ARV options. Just focus on boosting your immune system while your doctor focuses on your HIV treatment.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy










"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: