Email 403: Questions on Side Effects

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 7:14 AM
Hi Pozziepinoy,

First let me give my wholehearted thanks to this blog which helps me a lot in knowing what steps should I make since I was diagnosed positive of HIV. I was located in Qatar by the time that I discovered that I have the said condition but the result there was not clear yet so I went back to the Philippines and had my HIV test here. Then I confirmed that I was indeed one of the Pozzies.


I went to RITM ARG last November 11 and was assisted by Sir Gerald who had been very helpful and informative to me and to other new pozzies.(Thank you so much by the way). I took the baseline tests and was informed afterwards that my CD4 count is 393 which is still above the margin of 350. However, I have decided to start my ARVs as I was afraid that there might be a chance that it would suddenly drop. The doctor told me that I cannot immediately start taking the said meds as they are still waiting for the results of the other tests (PPD, Sputum and Chest X-Ray) which could take more than a week to be released. He then told me to take Isoniazid as a precaution to prevent PTB as my family has a history of the said illness. The pharmacy gave me a supply for the said medicine good for 6 months (this is for free). I called a week after and was informed that the results are released already. I went back to RITM last Nov 20 to ask if I can start taking ARV. The doctor told me that since I am negative with all the other tests that I can now do that. He gave me a supply of Lami/Zido good for one month and a two weeks supply of Nevirapine together with the instructions on how and when to take them.

I started taking my ARV last monday (Nov. 25) and today is my third day. I was afraid that I would experience the side effects that I have read from posts of other pozzies. However, to my surprise, I am not experiencing any of such. I would like to ask how long does the side effects of the drugs usually manifest? I am happy that I am not experiencing the said side effects but I was worried that the said side effects would still manifest after a few days. 

Thanks and more power.


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for the kind words that you wrote about the blog.

The side effects of the ARV's generally manifest during the first 2 weeks of taking them. That is why that is called the trial period of ARV's. However, ARV side effects can also happen anytime during the course of treatment. There are some that have side effects months or years after taking the ARV's that is why PLHIV's need to frequently observe his body for anything and report to his or her doctor. 

If I were you, don't overthink about the side effects. Most people who think about these side effects get the manifestations. Relax and focus on things that you can control, like being healthy, drinking a lot of water, exercise and having a positive outlook in life. 

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy







"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: