Email 355: Confused OFW

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 4:16 PM

Hi Mr. Pozzie,

I started reading your blog since i found myself for some symptoms of hiv. I'm an OFW. Mr. pozzie until now i dont know if im positive but my symptoms are still in my body for about weeks..it;s really hard to make some test here in abroad it's very complicated one thing is im very much afraid...  i dont know what possible reason to my company for them to let me go and going back to the phil...i haven't finish my contract yet..right now i don;t know what to do..one thing sir is it okay if i take vitamins until now even if i have those symptoms?? .. i hope u can give me an advise sir...

i read some articles here na ngpplakas ng loob ko khit minsan naiisp ko n bumitaw once na mlaman ko n positive nga po ako..sir pozzie ang hirap po pla...sana po matulungan nyo ko..more power sir to your advocacy ang dami nyo po nttulungan at nbbgyan ng pag -asa.... 

(Translation: I read some articles here that makes me feel strong eventhough at times I feel I’m ready to give up when I learned that I was positive. Sir Pozzie it was really hard. I wish you could help me. More power to you sir and to your advocacy. You are helping a lot and you are giving hope to many).



Thanks,
Drew

POZZIEPINOY'S RESPONSE

Hi Drew.

Thank you for your email., Thank you for finding the blog.

I know it is scary especially that you still don't know your HIV status. What is more scary is that you can't get tested in the country you are in right now because of the fear that you might b e sent home and your employment be terminated. I do understand your predicament. However, you won't feel better if you have not done your responsibility to yourself yet, that is, taking the HIV test. Of course a lot of things will go through your mind and the peace of mind won't be there.

My advice to you is simple. Either come home or go to another country to take the HIV test. This is the best for you, trust me. It is a win-win scenario. If you are HIv negative then you can go on with your life. However if you are HIv positive, then at least you will know what your next move will be instead of always thinking about things. Trust me, the fear of the unknown is the hardest to overcome and by gating the test will relax your mind and help you to focus on the things that you need to do.

You were asking me if you can take vitamins. Of course you can but if in case you have indeed the virus, then it won't stop the virus from replicating and harm your immune system. It is really best to know your status now while you are still strong so that you can get the best possible treatment, well just in case you are indeed positive.

Everything is scary but you need to overcome it by facing this responsibility for yourself and for the people who love you.

I hope I was able to answer your concern. Feel free to email me again if you have other concerns.

Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy