Email 360: Treatment Process and Employment Concerns

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:47 PM

Hi Pozzie!

first i want to thank you for addressing my question about employment.

Im Paul, Prior to taking the test last May 2 sa Megaclinic in Megamall kakalabas ko lang ng hospital because of Community Acquired Pnuemonia- Moderate Risk, Invasive Candidiasis and Acute Tonsillopharyngitis before discharge the doctor advised me to have an HIV Test.The doctor provided home medications for my pnuemonia and last May 4 for my follow-up check-up the doctor advised me to finish the remaining medications for my pnuemonia and did not advised to do anything when she found out that the test result is Reactive. we need to wait 21 days for confirmation.While waiting for the confirmation im starting to regain my strength from my pnuemonia until May 9 im getting constant fever and last May 12 we decided to go to San Lazaro. I had my x-ray and the doctor gave me the following medicines Cefuroxime,Cotrimoxazole,Azithromycin, Ferrous Sulfate and Vitamin B complex and Paracetamol. and she also advised me to have sputum test 3 times which i fail to do. And she also mentioned that i need to go back to San Lazaro once i got my confirmatory result.

 my question is what will be the next process?what will happen since i did not do the sputum test? when will i start my treatment? is it painful? im currently employed what will happen to my work if say the treatment will take for quite sometime? How long it will take before i can go back to work?is call center still a better workplace with a 3am sched?

thank you so much.


POZZIEPINOY'S RESPONSE

Hi Paul.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for finding the blog.

We have almost the same story before I got diagnosed with HIV. Like you, I was also diagnosed with community acquired pneumonia and pneumocystiis pneumonia. Because of these, my doctor advised me to take the HIV test and the rest was history.

Now, going back to your concerns, let me list down everything:

1. The next step is to wait for HIV confirmatory test. If it turns out positive then you need to be enrolled in the hub of your choice. San Lazaro Hospital is one of the best hubs in the country. Since you are already familiar with the location then you might as well stick to that hub.

2. The sputum test is a requirement for the hub. It will check for the presence of other infections. If the doctor requires you to do it, then you really have to abide by the order. If you won't do it then you won't be given with the HIV treatment, in case you really are indeed HIV positive.

3. I don't understand your question, "is it painful?". Pain is subjective and all the pain, (that is, emotional, physical, financial, etc) is only experienced if you allow them to happen to you. Stay positive and just stay strong.

4. HIV treatment is not an obstacle to employment. The infection (your pneumonia) that you have right now, however needs attention. You need to recuperate before going back to work. 

5. Any job is ok with people with HIV (PLHIV). It is just a matter of accepting that you are HIV positive and knowing the precautionary measures to protect you in acquiring different infections around you.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Please feel free to email me again if you have other problems.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy