Email 357: Why the Need for Confirmation?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 4:58 PM

Hi. 

i just had my test yesterday and got the result this morning. reactive daw and icoconfirm pa daw sa DOH if positive nga. i am just wondering kung bakit need pa iconfirm sa DOH? it bothers me kasi feeling ko talaga wala eh. is it advisable na magpatest ako ulit sa ibang testing centers?

TRANSLATION

Hi.

I just had my test yesterday ad got the result this morning. It was reactive and it needs to be confirmed by the DOH if it really is positive. I am just wondering why there is a need to be confirmed by the DOH. It bothers me because I really feel that I don't have it. Is it advisable to take another test in the other testing centers?


POZZIEPINOY'S RESPONSE

Hi there.

Thank you for your email.

It is protocol by the HIV testing sites to provide a rapid HIV test first. This initial screening will provide information if the drawn blood maybe possibly HIV infected. This test is not very specific to HIV, thus the sample blood needs to be confirmed by the ELISA Test done by DOH which is a more specific test to HIV. However, there is already a 50-50 chance that it maybe positive or negative.

It is your choice if you want to take another test but why not wait for the initial test result? Whatever the result will be, it will be final so just wait for it and for now not worry about it. Like what I said, still it may turn out to be negative.

I hope I was able to address your concern. Please feel free to email me again if you have other concerns.

Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy