Email 375: My Brother is HIV Positive!

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:58 PM

My brother was diagnosed  HIV positive. He is now suffering from diarrhea, he can't eat and has a rapid loss of weight.  He almost lost hope that he will be better... We are still praying and hoping that he will be ok. Now, he will be confined again in RITM. We almost have no money to support him. But we want him to be ok.  His CD4 count is only 6. Is he 
going to be ok? What am I going to do? We love him so much...we dont want 
to lose him. We want him to live...

XXX


POZZIEPINOY'S RESPONSE

Hi XXX.

Thank you for your email.

I feel your concern about your brother but let me tell you this, as long as your brother keeps a fighting spirit and stays positive and really believes that he will get well; as long as he is the hospital, with all his infections identified and all the tests medicines are given to him, then everything will be ok.  I have talked to a lot of PLHIV's who had single digit CD4 before with multiple infections and they are doing great right now. I know that treatment of opportunistic infections is not covered by the hubs, but since your brother is in RITM Alabang, if you can't afford the medicines or laboratory tests required to determine the opportunistic infections that your brother has, then just go to RITM-ARG and look for either Maram, Ate Beth or Let. If the medicines are cheap, then The Love Fund can help your brother out. If the medicines needed are too expensive and your brother needs confinement and treatment for a long period of time, you can ask the staff to help your brother out through PCSO. Maram, Ate Beth or Let will definitely assist you with all the requirements and once everything is ready, Dr. Ditangco will call me when you are ready to go to the PCSO office so I can help expedite the process.

For the meantime, coordinate with your brother's HIV doctor so you will know the next steps. Also, tell your brother that he needs to stay positive and have a strong heart to fight. Tell him that he is never alone with his fight and that me and the rest of the PLHIV's who are reading the blog will be praying for him.

I hope I was able to answer your concern. Please feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy