Email 424: Looking for a Dentist

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:07 AM
Hi PozzieP,


Glad I stumbled upon your blog! I've been looking in Google for an answer to my question for hours now and have been left wanting of a more setting-appropriate response; funny, because I've been browsing inattentively through forums addressed primarily for American members, when there are so many blogs in our local community here dedicated in reaching out to our fellow brethren. I'm late to discover you've been doing the Lord's work!

Anyhow, I left RITM yesterday having failed to gather a professional insight on how to deal with dentists, as I had assumed some in the ARG clinic personnel would know: but alas, my expectations were too high (They're the kindest bunch though!). I've been going up and down the list of dentists accredited by my HMO, and I can't stop wondering, when that time comes when I would already be seated in their chair, if I should say, "Doc, before you go through my chomp-ers here, I have to tell you: I have HIV." I know that I should, considering especially my bleeding gums, but I'm still hesitant, for fear of getting my dental benefits turned down. So, I'm curious, what course of action should I take? Should I hope for the best: pick any name in the HMO-recognized list, declare my status upon meeting, and expect the standard procedure to be done (with the added precautionary measures, of course)? Or, do you happen to know a PLHIV-friendly dentist?

Any form of response would be great, thanks!


Your newfound fan,
Sinag.Tala 


P.S. I can't wait to kiss my boyfriend for the first time. ;)
                                                                     
POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi Sinag.Tala.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for finding the blog and for sharing your concern with me and my readers.

I always tell my fellow PLHIV's to disclose their HIV status to all their doctors including their dentist. The doctor needs to know especially if he or she will be prescribing medicines that may interfere with your ARV's.

Now with your concern, I know for a fact that there are some doctors, even though it is unethical, who push their clients away once a PLHIV discloses his or her HIV status. This happens all over the world because of the stigma attached to HIV and the lack of awareness of some health professionals about HIV. Because of this, we have a list of doctors, including dentists, who are HIV friendly.

Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG, recommended Dr. Larry (please call 0916-286-2066 to get his number). I already talked to him and he said he accepts clients who are HIV positive. You can text or call him to set an appointment if you wish.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy






"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: