What World AIDS Day Means to Me

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:39 AM

A few years ago, whenever Dec 1 would appear in the calendar, 2 things were coming to front in my mind. First, I know that the following day would be no work for us because it is Pasay City Day and our office is in that city. And second, because I know that it is World AIDS Day. Back then, WAD's significance to me was the number of people who got infected and the number of deaths due to the virus. In other words, I was just interested with the cold stats that HIV/AIDS provides.

As the years passed and I had become involved with an advocacy involving commercial sex workers, it was becoming evident that I will have to deal with the issues surrounding HIV/AIDS as this was a path that seemed to be a natural course to be taken by the CSW whom I deal with on an increasing frequency. 

I now see the problems of discrimination and the stigma the disease carries that burdens the people who are infected. And I also now see the challenges that both the government and the private sector faces because of the growing number of people getting infected. 
But when that fateful day arrived when HIV came face to face with me and our family because of a family member being diagnosed positive, the impact was just overwhelming. Needless to say, our lives were never the same again. 


We went through the ups and downs, well, during the first year, were mostly downs because of how the virus has affected not just my brother but the whole family. But we never gave up even if he himself was ready to call it quits. To cut the story short, he was able to pass through the trying moments (actually, months, to be honest) but now, he is fine and starting to move on with his life. And so do we.
So back to the question. What does World AIDS Day now represent to me? It tells me no longer about the number of people who died because of the disease. Instead, it tells me of the number of people living despite the disease.

Gerald Santos
Care Assistance Program Manager
The Red Ribbon








"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: