What World AIDS Means to Me

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 2:41 PM

At first World Aids Day for me is just an ordinary day. I never thought that in one particular time it will mean a lot for me. In the past 2 years I have experienced a few ups and downs and I know that it is still a long way to go unlike those predecessors that I have. I haven’t even experienced half of what they had in their lives. There are still moments that I ask myself will I be able to do it? Will I be able to keep my strength going? Until when can I endure the pain of seeing people like me getting discriminated and stigmatized because of their status?

I have already met a lot of different people with different backgrounds, beliefs, practices, ideals and goals. There are only a few of us who continue on fighting for what we believe is right. Trying all that we can to make a difference. It is a difficult road however if we hold hands together we will be able to make it even in the toughest road that we will face.


A few of us still worries what others will say or think once that they know our status. A few are still afraid to take a stand in correcting the wrong beliefs about HIV/AIDS. I don’t say that you remove fear and do not feel it. It is a normal thing to experience. I myself feel it too at times. However, I always put in mind that if I don’t conquer that fear no one else will do it for me.

2 years may seem to be short to say that my experience in dealing with HIV/AIDS is matured. However, with this 2 years it is the most critical and the most important days of being a PLHIV and an advocate. Just like what some of my fellow advocates will say it is about the devotion and the heart that is important in order for us to stand against all the critics and people who pull our legs down.

I know that there still more that I will face in the upcoming years. However, as long as I have my family and friends at my back I can make it. I may not be able to correct all of the stereotypical knowledge that people have about HIV/AIDS in just a short span of time. As long as I have faith and perseverance to work on those areas probably we will stand a chance. A chance to show everyone that HIV/AIDS and PLHIVs shouldn’t be discriminated and be stigmatized.

Remembering the legacy of those who are no longer here with us because of this illness. Some lost faith and some were not given enough chance to fight. I, being one of those who were given the chance to fight against this illness will continue to have faith. A faith that will not be shattered just because of a few criticism and a few people who will really aim to ruin what we have started.


We just need to remember that if the odds are against us and we start to lose hope. This ongoing fight against stigma and discrimination towards HIV/AIDS and PLHIVs will just continue. As we light our candles and send the balloons in the sky. We send our message of hope that in the next years to come we will gather together to remember Worlds Aids Day as a celebration were we succeed in the fight against this illness. A success that each and every one of us will treasure for rest of our lives.

Yomi