Email 431: Took the Test and Want to Help Others

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 4:48 PM

Dear Poz,

First of all I would like to thank you for your continuous effort to answer the concerns of a lot of people regarding hiv and educating this generation, and i'm really proud of your for being strong in this battle.

First off all i would like to share my hiv test experience and encourage everybody to gather all their courage to take the test as well. 

For the past year of my life, i have been stigmatized. Stigmatized because of my possible exposure to the virus. Stigmatized because of the fear of rejection from my friends, family, the society. Stigmatized because of fear of losing all my hopes, my future, my dreams. And this stigma has been a hindrance for every individual to take the test. I think everyone feels the same way. I've been there.


With all the strengths and courage, i finally decided to take the test last Dec 28. The result turned out to be negative, nonreactive. I was so happy during that time yet my heart was pounding at an enormous rate.

Now, i would like to volunteer, educate our young generation about hiv. I would like to accompany a friend, or somebody, in taking the test, as an act of support and encouragement. However, i'm quite afraid to do it.

Also, i would like to educate my family about it. But since this is a sensitive issue, i don't know how to properly bring the discussion to the table. Any suggestions? Recommendations? Thank you.

Lots of love
YR

POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi YR.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for the kind words that you wrote about the blog.

I am proud of you for taking the HIV test. You are right. Most of the time people pre empt everything. In general, people think of what will happen in the future without taking the right steps in the present. The fear created by this, creates its own obstacles, thus, people get scared of the test. I am happy that finally you were able to take the steps in knowing your HIV status now.

Now, with your question on possible suggestions or recommendations on how to educate, you can try these techniques:

1. Direct approach:
    a. Tell family and friends about what your read about HIV & AIDS in the Philippines.
        i. Increasing cases
        ii. ways to prevent HIV
        ii. the HIV test
     b. Tell them your first hand experience in taking the HIV test
2. Indirect Approach:
     a. Have them read HIV articles in the newspaper, magazines or in the internet.
     b. Have someone who is knowledgeable about HIV talk to them about it.
     c. Watch a movie that has an HIV story. Then discuss HIv after the movie.

Once they become empowered, then you can bring them to any HIV testing site to take the HIV test. You can have any of our volunteers in the Care Management Program -HIV test to assist you and your family in friends in taking the test.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy






"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: