Talking Helps!

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 10:13 AM
When I was diagnosed with HIV, Tag and I talked. We made plans fast and the priority was getting my health back. He cried but he after that he made me strong. He is a loving, understanding and caring partner and I thank him for that.We always had visitors in the hospital and it became complicated since we couldn't just tell anybody about my disease. The following day, I called my siblings to come to the hospital. It was Tag who broke the news to them because I was so sick to talk. They were calm when they received it and assured us that they will be there. I told them that they can also tell my nieces and nephews. My sister said she would email our siblings too in the U.S. about my condition. We felt relieved. After that, Tag went home and called his parents and sister. He told them everything and cried to them. They were very supportive according to Tag. It was a relief.

So who was next? We had friends who kept on visiting us and we decided to break the news to two of our friends. One friend cried and told us to ask if we need help. The next day, my siblings from the U.S. called and Tag broke the news to them again. They just said that they are sending their prayers to us and ask if we need help. Tag assured them that everything will be ok. He told them about the treatment of HIV/AIDS here too, so they were relieved.

One time, my doctor friend paid me a visit in the hospital and asked how Tag was dealing with it. I said that talking helped a lot. By talking we accept that there is the disease, and all we have to do is to face the challenges it will bring. By talking, especially revealing to family and friends, the burden disappears and then everything else focuses on just being well. By talking, reassured us that we are strong people and we can overcome all the obstacles we were about to face. By talking, we are assured that we still have our family and friends who support us with love and prayers.

When I got discharged from the hospital, I also told one of my neighbors who had ever been good to me about my disease. She extended her love and support and told me that I should not be proud to ask for help from her. It was an overwhelming feeling.

Right now, I hardly talk to anybody but if I go out and people ask me, I usually say I am ok. Well, I really am and I tell them that I am recuperating. I have 2 new people who knows about me from my blog entries and we correspond. It is best to talk, well about anything. I haven't met them yet, but it seems like we can be partners in dealing with our combined struggles.

For those pozzies out there who are confused, come on and let's talk. Even text will do. Just email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com. Trust me it helps to talk to somebody who understands.



Categories: