On Wearing A Mask

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 3:12 PM
A new friend of mine who reads my blogs regularly asked me this morning if I still wear masks? I told him that I don't anymore. I take more precautions in going to public places and crowded places. Usually I bring a handkerchief if I can't avoid some places or rooms packed with people. I have a hand sanitizer in my pocket and in the car. I know my CD4 is still low and no matter what I know that I can still get infected by some opportunistic infections.

So to those who are advised to wear a mask in going out to places, don't be too scared about what and how people will react to you. Here are some tips that I used before to make me confident in wearing a mask:

1. I always think that In Hong Kong, a lot of people are wearing masks especially in public places, like the subway trains or MTR and buses. So if they can do it there, why not here.

2. Cops, MMDA officers and security guards wear these masks too. So what makes you different.

3. If people stare at you for wearing a mask, stare back at them. Who are they to judge you. I told Tag, one time, if somebody would really stare at me strongly, I'll stare back at the person, remove my mask and cough. Let's see who will be scared (hey, that is just the bad side of me).

4. I always think that it's expensive to be hospitalized, so better wear a mask than be bankrupt.

5. I stay clean looking and healthy. I wear nice clothes. I fix myself well. If you look healthy and strong, wearing a mask would imply to people around you that you are healthy and that they are sicker than you are. Nice way to project, right?

So go ahead and wear it. Nobody knows you have HIV/AIDS. The only stigma is the stigma that we put on to ourselves!




FOR TOPIC SUGGESTIONS, please email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com
DONATE to The Love FundThe Love Fund