Email 8: Clueless

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 10:42 AM
“Hi Pozziepinoy!

I hope your are doing well. First I would like to thank you for putting up you blog, it is really very insightful. 

I am XXX years old currently in XXX. I’ve been here since XXX. I had myself tested and this morning I was told that I am HIV positive. I'm currently at a loss right now and clueless as to what my next step would be. 

I haven't told anyone yet but eventually I have to tell my close friends and my family. I definitely would have to go back to the Philippines very soon. 

I hope we could meet up or talk somewhere. It scares me a lot. 

I don't know if I could still find a job back home, or if my health would hold back, or if financially I could support this fight. I don't want to be a burden to my family or to anyone.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask for your help and advice. I really really need it right now.... Thank you very much!!!

Sincerely,

XXX”


Hi XXX,

First of all, thank you for reading my blog. It is good to know that I am able to reach out to other people. It is now one of my missions in life.

It really is heart breaking when you find out that you are positive. You said it's bad. I agree with you, but looking from a different perspective, for me it is also a blessing that you found out early before you are already sick brought about by the weakness of your immune system. Unlike me who was already bedridden because of pneumonia before I got myself tested, I believe that you are still in good health when you found out. You are still a lucky guy XXX, because you have a great chance to make your immune system to recover fast unlike some of us who have to wait for years for ours to get back to normal levels.
I know now you are confused but I'll try to answer your doubts one by one here.

Regarding jobs, there is no mandatory HIV testing needed for employment here. It is against the Philippine law. It is still voluntary testing. In that case, you can definitely find a job here for you. Your credentials are more important here. There are also other countries that don't require an HIV test prior to employment. So don’t worry too much.

About your health, I can guide you step by step on the procedures on what you need to do. The priority tests that you need to do are the CD4 test and the viral load test. They maybe expensive in XXX but here in the Philippines, the CD4 count costs around P2,500- P3,500 while the VL costs around P5,000-P7,000. The CD4 count determines your immune system strength while the VL determines the amount of virus you have. The CD4 test is done every 6 months while the VL is done once a year. The CD4 test also will determine if you need to take the ARV's (antiretroviral's). Planing your finances is the best you can do for now.

Financially, most of the burden come from the initial lab workout to be done. It will cost you around P5,000 for everything if you are not sick now. However, if you are experiencing illnesses at present, your doctor will tell you to do more tests which will cost you more. I spent like half a million pesos because of my confinement in the hospital, including all the medicines and all the lab workout, because I was already sick before I found out that I was positive. So learn not to be like me. In your case, don't get sick! Be proactive in having your health status now. The sooner you know your health status the better the chance for you not to spend a lot. Don't you worry too. The HIV/AIDS hubs here are free --- free consultation from doctors and free ARV's.

Tell your family and close friends about your health status when you are ready. It is good to talk and know that people you love support you. When I found out that I was positive, the following day, I told my friends and family about it. I was confident that they would understand and they did. I promised them that I will fight to survive it. I know that you can do it too.

I hope I was able to answer everything. Please email me again if you have other questions. I can meet you when you come back to the country.

I will add you to my PP Prayer's List which I give to different church organizations in the country.

Just stay positive XXX. I will be here for you.

Pozziepinoy





***************



A few days later:






Hi Pozziepinoy!

How are you doing? I hope everything is well. 
By the way I have already told my sisters about my condition. It was really hard telling them at first. I haven’t cried that much ever in my life. But you are right, they are here to support me and love me. They told me that together as a family we can fight and overcome this... They are coming to XXXX to pick me up and help pack my things. :)

We haven’t told my parents yet. We are going to do it together once we’re back in the Philippines on XXX. I hope everything will be alright...

My close friends are very supportive too. There wasn’t any point that they judged me or questioned my identity when I told them. One of them even said that whatever happened in the past is not important. What's more important is for me to get back on my feet and be as healthy as possible. They were actually sadder not because I have this disease, but because I'll be leaving them soon. :)
I feel so blessed to have such family and friends. I know my parents would be there for me too. I'm really praying for that. 

Well, I guess I want to thank you too. Your words and advice really are helpful. I hope I can be this helpful to others, as well. Thanks a lot bro, for the support and prayers! 
Sincerely, 
XXX







Hello XXX,

I am so happy that everything went well. It is so heartwarming when one feels the love and support of family and friends. I salute you for being courageous. Like what I said before, your family and friends will be there for you and now you know that.

You are not alone. People you love will be with you to fight your disease. Your obligation and responsibility now is to fight it for yourself and for them.

Starting now, smile and be healthy.

I will be here for you. Email me your other concerns when you get back home. I will also give you my cell number so we can correspond.


Pozziepinoy





FOR TOPIC SUGGESTIONS, please email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com
DONATE to The Love FundThe Love Fund