Email 6: Hubs & PhilHealth

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 7:38 PM
I received another email. I want to share it with all of you as I answer his questions. To XXX, I hope you don’t mind. I deleted some personal information though.

“Hi Sir pozziepinoy, I am a follower of your blog. I always read your updates especially on how you handle your health situation now and the advices that you give to our fellow pozzies. By the way, I'm also a pozzie, I was diagnosed to be positive last XXX when I had my medical check up .... I was shocked and until now I don't know what to do. I haven't gone to any hubs to have my CD4 count and viral load tested for I am still saving my money for the cost of those initial tests. I have a lot of questions to ask. I would really appreciate if you would answer them.

Can I use my PhilHealth card to shoulder the expenses for the initial tests like CD4 count and Viral load? 

How can i go to RITM if I'll be coming from Quezon City?” 

XXX

Hi XXX. Thanks for the email. It gladdens my heart that you are reading my blogs. My entries are all for the benefit of our fellow poz --- the new ones that are still confused and those who are healthy now.
It is really shocking to accidentally find out one’s status. It is normal to be confused and to have self blame. But everything will be alright as soon as one realizes that the path has been created for him or her years ago by our great doctors who partnered with our government hospitals... that treatment centers are there, that treatment is upon reach.

It is imperative to get one’s CD4 and viral load count as soon as possible. The former gauges the status of your immune system while the latter determines the quantity of virus in you. The CD4 also will determine if you need treatment with ARV’s. 

So the first step, really, is to get to an HIV treatment hub nearest you and seek consult. Make sure to bring your confirmatory HIV result with you. What’s good about it is that consultation is free. A doctor will be assigned to you and he or she will tell you which lab tests to take. Unfortunately, even though you have PhilHealth, the cost of the initial lab tests are not covered yet so be prepared to spend from Php 3,000 to Php 7,000 (including CD4, Viral load not included, depending on the hub). Once you are in the hub, if you are a member of PhilHealth, make sure to talk to a PhilHealth officer so you can apply for the OHAT (Out Patient HIV/AIDS Treatment Package). You will be asked to fill out forms and usually 6 months after, the succeeding lab tests including the CD4 test will be free.

XXX, I always advice that you go to a hub nearest you. Proximity wise, it would be easier in cases of emergencies, the frequency of visits and refill of ARV’s. But if you choose to go to RITM, from Quezon City, just take any bus going to Alabang. In Alabang there are FX terminals that will go to Festival Mall. Just tell the driver to pass by RITM. Once in RITM, look for the ARG Clinic and then look for Ate Ellen or Letlet. Actually, anyone there is friendly so just ask help from anybody. 

If you have a financial problem, ask Ate Ellen about the Love Fund. It is project of Dr. Ditangco for those who have financial difficulties. She will screen you if you will qualify for the grant. This Love Fund is a fund collected from donations of private citizens who have the heart to help HIV/AIDS patients for the initial lab tests. The Fund is not big yet as it just started this month so they are pretty strict in giving grants.

I do hope that other pozzies have learned something from the answers I gave you. Email me again if you have other concerns. I already replied back with my cell number.




FOR TOPIC SUGGESTIONS, please email me at pozziepinoy@yahoo.com
DONATE to The Love FundThe Love Fund