Email 449: Testing at 3 months and 6 Months

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 9:12 PM
Dear Pozzie,

Hope this letter finds you well. 

My last sexual intercourse was on August 11, 2013. While I used condom, I became paranoid since I developed throat infection accompanied by fever days following my contact. It took me more than 4 months to muster the courage and i have finally gone thru HIV testing on December 22, 2013. Luckily, it turned out non-reactive. 


However, reading thru the vast literature on HIV, I am still paranoid given that the window period is 3-6 months. I am planning to take another test on February just to be sure. Would just like to know what are the chances that it may turn out positive during the upcoming test in Feb. Are there a number of cases wherein it took the maximum window period of 6 months to detect the virus or the antibodies fighting the virus? Would you recommend any other kind of test just to confirm the accuracy of my initial results?

On a separate note, I would like to know what are the available options for those who are interested to pursue this advocacy. I have signed up to be a volunteer for Love Yourself and while I am still waiting for their response, I am eager to know how i can assist during my free time. 


Thank you in advance and more power!
kobayashi 

POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi Kobayashi.

Thank you for your email.

The HIV tests nowadays are sensitive to the HIV antibodies that are usually produced within 3 months post exposure. However, most infectious disease doctors still request clients to have a retest 6 months to be sure. 

In your case, you took the test 4 months post exposure and still is non-reactive. Most probably, it will remain negative at 6 months. However, like what I said, it is still best to take it again at 6 months. Anyway it is a win-win situation and you can trust the rapid (screening tests) given by the different testing facilities in the country.

The Love Yourself accepts volunteers who are non PLHIV. Just wait for their response and I know they will get back to you soon as their mother clinic, the RITM-Satellite Clinic is branching out in Mandaluyong, thus they will be needing more volunteers.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy






"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: