Email 474: About the HIV Test

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 11:34 AM
Hi pozziepinoy. 

First of all thank you for your blog. I can see that it has help a lot of people and now, its helping me also with my hiv anxiety.

Last dec 28 i had a risky encounter wherein i had a brief protected insertive anal sex with a transexual sex worker. The condom was intact and it only lasted about 20 mins (she was good at hiding that he was a tranny during the encounter). However, days before the encounter, i did have some shallow wounds near my genitals which i think was already dry and healed during the encounter.


I immediately regretted what i did so i researched about hiv symptoms the next day. Around dec 31, i started to feel sore throat and developed a dry cough and slight fever which lasted for 10 days. Now (20 days after exposure) i can still feel a slight sore in my throat and im starting to feel that i have a slight fever and thought that my fever is coming back.

My question is, is it too early to have hiv testing 20 days after exposure? My anxiety and paranoia are really getting worse. Also how much is the hiv testing in ritm malate for a hetero guy?

Hope you can help me and more power to you!

anonymous


POZZIEPINOY’S RESPONSE

Hi anonymous.

Thank you for your email. Thank you for finding the blog.

I am glad that you are having protected sex and still going to take the HIV test. Although from your letter there is no risk at all fro transmission, I am still proud of you for taking the test, to calm down your mind.

The HIV test can accurately detect HIV antibodies at 3 months to 6 months post exposure. This means that at 20 days post exposure, it is possible that the body has not produced enough antibodies yet to be detected by the test. However, I always request one to get tested as early as possible, one, because some people don't accurately remember when the last exposure really happened, and second, the HIV test will determine one's HIV status from the previous exposures (before the last exposure). Although some doctors say that 3 months is already enough, the best HIv doctors in the Philippines, especially Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG still push for 3 and 6 months post exposure HIV test.

BTW, HIV test is free for all sexes or sexual preference in RITM Satellite Clinic in Malate.

I hope I was able to answer your concerns. Feel free to email me again if you have other questions.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy

"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-



Want to be ASSISTED for the HIV TEST?? 
Check this link:


If you have comments or questions, please click this link:





© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: