Email 54: Getting Sick!

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:41 AM

Hi Pozzie Pinoy,

I'm XXX, positive with HIV too. I found (it) out (on) May 2011 and been ignoring it ever since. Now that I'm getting sick more often lately (recurring fever) I'm bothered already. I have very little info about HIV so I started to Google and came across your blog. I started reading your blog few days back and got a lot of info about what I'm going through, which makes me extremely concerned about my condition. 
I want to take this thing seriously this time. But just a bit worried with the cost of tests, meds and doctors fee. I've checked RITM's website and the tests are quite expensive for me. I've noticed that you've mentioned in your blog that we can get it for free? I mean HIV test, CD4 test, Virals etc.. Question is, Where? And How? 

I have a lot of questions but more important would be consulting to a doctor of HIV first and knowing my CD4 count for now, Do you know where can I take the test for a cheaper cost? And a doctor who doesn't charge that much?

I'm hoping for your prompt reply. Thanks a lot and please keep updating your blog. 

XXX


POZZIEPINOY'S REPLY

HI XXX,

Thank you your email and for reading my blog. Thanks also for reminding me to update my blog.

HIV is a serious illness and we should not neglect it once we find out that we have it. If not taken seriously, we might up getting a lot of infections that we should not get if we monitor the level of our immune system. In your case, let us not deal with the past and start new. Make sure that from now on you will focus on your health and learn more about HIV and the infections that complicate it.

Let me answer your question.

First, the baseline lab tests, consultation fees and CD4 test in RITM-ARG (AIDS Research Group) in Alabang are free so no need to worry. Viral Load, however is not covered so you have to pay P6,500-P7,500 for it. However, If you have infections now, RITM-ARG usually won't cover the labs and treatment, that is why I really recommend that once you know your status, go to a treatment hub fast so your condition won't be complicated by the other infections that can attack when there is weakened immune system. 

To go to RITM-ARG, visit my previous blog entry: How To Go to RITM-ARG .The doctors and staff are competent so no need to worry.

I hope I was able to answer you question. Feel free to ask me again if you have other concerns.

Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy

© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: