Email 87: On HIV Confirmatory and Oral Ulcers

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:10 AM

Hi Mr. Pozzie. 

This is XXX, a maria-clarang pa-girl. I was a virgin until one November day in 2009, I had anal s*x with a cute stranger. Well, he was gazing at me so I could not stop my urges then. What a waste was that day coz I didn't really enjoy. Too bad. O_o. 

In May 2011, I had german measles so my doctor suspected that I had contracted HIV already. I took the HIV test and got non-reactive results. Few months ago, I engaged in some sexual activities but they were all low-risk (I did some research). However, I developed occasional oral ulcers, which are now persistent as they don't seem to go away. I went to an ENT doctor who asked me to get an HIV test, which turned out to be REACTIVE. O_o!!!!! The person at the laboratory told me to wait for my confirmatory test, whose results I will only find out in one or two months. I did some further research and learned that oral ulcers are symptoms for the third stage. What do I do???!!!

Short Summary

Last Sexual Activity: September 2012
Last High-risk Sexual Activity: November 2009
HIV Tests & Results:
May 2011: Non-reactive
Oct 2012: Reactive, waiting for confirmation
Symptoms: Occasional, but now persistent, Oral Ulcers

What I want to find out is what clinical stage I'm in. I want to have some clues about this. And apparently, I can't wait for my confirmatory test if my life's already in danger by now. >_<

I also want to find out if my HIV could advance to Clinical Stage III or IV asap. I found out, on the net, that Stage II lasts for about 8-10 years so how could I get to Stage III that fast?

XXX


POZZIEPINOY'S REPLY

Hi XXX,

Thank you for your email. 

Let me answer your questions in the order that you asked them.

About the HIV Confirmatory Result

That is the dilemma of the HIV Test here in the Philippines. In almost all testing sites, once the rapid test turns out positive, one has to wait for 2 weeks up to 2 months (this happens mostly in provinces). Sad, because instead of moving forward, instead of taking immediate steps, the suspected PLHIV has to wait for this long. That is why I always recommend people to take the test in RITM Satellite Clinic in Malate because in just a matter of 2 hours, the result will come out and the result is already accepted as a confirmatory result because two tests are being done there. 

I just talked to Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG and she said that you really have to wait for your confirmatory test. However, she advised to get treatment for your oral ulcers first while waiting for the confirmatory. She said that either you go to any hospital or an HIV treatment hub near you. Now in case, the HIV treatment hub is not open minded, won't accept you and would still require the confirmatory result prior to consultation, Dr. Ditangco said to go to RITM-ARG in Alabang and they would accommodate you and give you the best advice on how to address your medical concerns.


About the Clinical Staging of HIV/AIDS

It is easy to speculate and jump into conclusions from what we read over the internet. Always remember that each individual is unique and that the effects of HIV vary from one person to another. Some PLHIV's experience the symptoms of weakened immune system in just 1 or 2 years, others after 5 years or more. I know some PLHIV's who have high CD4 counts (level of your immune system) for decades and still not taking ARV's up to now. I even know some PLHIV's with a single digit CD4 and they are not even sickly at all. It really is a case to case basis.

I am proud of you for doing your researches, however, you have to do concrete actions now. I strongly advice you to get an opinion from an HIV doctor who has experience with HIV in the country. You can find the best HIV doctors in the HIV treatment hubs in the country, so please seek advice as soon as possible. By doing so, by having a doctor come into the picture, you can partner with him or her in monitoring your health status and you won't be groping in the dark anymore for questions.

Be in Control

Focus on what you can control. Don't let HIV control you, instead while you are still capable, be in control of HIV.

1. Be proactive about your health. 
2. While waiting for your confirmatory, get treatment for your oral ulcers.
3. Consult an HIV doctor in a treatment hub near you to get good advice.
4. Empower yourself by reading everything about HIV. Know the real scenario especially here in the country.



"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.
NO PLHIV is alone with his or her struggle with HIV!"

-Pozziepinoy-


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: