Email 64: Answering PLHIV's Questions

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:05 PM

Hi Pozziepinoy!

I have started reading your blogs when i was diagnosed last July but not consistently since i dont have my personal pc. I admire your enthusiasm and drive to act and stay positive despite being "positive". I would really want to have at least constant communication with you via text at least for it looks like you're very knowledgeable with this disease having a private doctor yourself.
Good thing at least you're financially well compared to me as I assume so you were able to afford to be out of job for at least 3 months. It's very challenging on my end bec I had to stop working considering I'm the breadwinner of the family. If it's just me, I'll be fine I guess. But seeing my siblings and parents suffer bec of this condition makes me feel more depressed. I know, I can surpass this and I'm very positive that soon I'll be able to bounce back. It may not be the same normal life I used to have but I know I can still manage to survive and I can still fulfill my dreams for my family.

I was diagnosed July of this year but started my arv Aug 29. Btw, SLH is my hub which given a choice, I would really love to have a private doctor myself.

I just have some questions;

1. My CD4 last July was 30 but and I guess the rectal polyp surgery I had last April is considered an OI already. Now that it's been more than a month that I'm taking Lami/Zido/Efav. When can i possibly  have flu/pneumonia shots?

2. As of current I have low RBC but the doctor says it's far from having blood transfusion. Im taking ferrous sulfate to increase it. Can I go back to work after 2 months of taking ARV's with rest even if I dont have prop as i was confined due to allergies by taking cotri? Or is it still a big risk to take?

I know i still have questions but I'll reserve that next time.

Thank your for continuously inspiring pozzies and God bless always.

I'll DM you my cel# in your twitter account. Thanks again.

XXX


POZZIEPINOY'S REPLY

Hi XXX,

Thank you for the email and for reading my blog entries. People like you encourage me to write and to answer back emails as fast as I can as I know that with HIV, timing is very important. 

I can say that everyday, I learn something new and the wisdom and information that I share are coming from our good hearted medical professionals who are experts with HIV and HIV treatment. They are my source of information and every time there is a question which I can't answer I make sure to ask them first to provide the most factual response.

XXX, I am very lucky and thankful that I have a loving partner who was able to accept, assist and support me during the time that I was sick. We were so careful that we opted that I stay home first because it is more expensive for me to get sick again. I was on prophylaxis for 8 months, taking cotrimozaxole and azithromycin since my initial CD4 was 70 and I just stopped taking them when I got my second CD4 which jumped to 487. We were careful that we took extra caution to prevent infections, avoided crowded places, ate the right food, worked out, etc. In our minds, it was better to be careful and focus on being healthy than to spend tremendous amount of money for hospitalization and medications in case I would get OI's again.

Now let me answer you questions in the order that you asked them.

First, about vaccinations, it's a case to case basis. Best is to ask your HIV doctor when you can get them and what kind of vaccinations you need to get. Get the vaccinations in the treatment hub as they know what to give you. For instance, for PLHIV's, Hepa B vaccination is given double dose as compared to non-HIV individuals.

Second, you definitely can go back to work. However, you should inform your doctor first about your plans and ask what precautionary measures you need to take since you don't have any prophylaxis. The key is to have a healthy lifestyle and really focus on your health. There are cases wherein PLHIV's don't have prophylaxis and or ARV's but just focusing on their health and having a healthy lifestyle, they are able to avoid infections and are continuing to live a normal life.

Always remember that whenever we get infections, HIV replicates so it would be harder for our immune system to rebound back even with ARV's. We have to do whatever it takes to prevent  and avoid infections to help our body recuperate fast. I reiterate that we all should have to live a healthy lifestyle every day of our lives!

I wish I was able to answer your questions. Feel free to email me again if you have other concerns.

You can leave your number in my email address or just DM me your number in my twitter account (@pozziepinoy).


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy



*** Please answer the poll question on the LEFT SIDE of the Main Page. I want to hear from you!

© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: