Email 68: To Take Lamivudine with Tenofovir and Efavirenz?

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:07 AM

Hello Pozzie! 

It's me again.  Thank you so much for your advise and had been reading your blog since I last e-mailed you. My Kudos to you! Don't know how you do it... I must say that you are truly an enlightened person.  Just to let you know that I got an answer from the nurse in SAGIP-PGH that the doctor can prescribe few more months meds than the meds that was already released to me but will still have to meet with the doctor in Manila when I arrive there from XXX.  So really crossing my fingers it wont be a problem.


A have a few urgent questions for you again if you don't mind.  Am currently taking ATRIPLA (Efavirenz / Emtricitabine / Tenofovir in one) that was temporarily bought for me by my ship's physician in the USA. But now I only have around 9 more tablets left and will have to start taking the meds issued by SAGIP-PGH which are Lamivudine, Tenofovir, and Efavirenz. My question is that can I take Lamivudine which is 2 tablets a day altogether with Tenofovir and Efavirenz (2 tablets together with the other 2 at the same time), or should it be taken one tablet in the morning and another one in the evening together with the two other tablets?  Also, can you recommend a doctor who specializes in HIV that I can get in touch with directly? Especially that I travel a lot, it's really hard for me to text or call SAGIP-PGH nurse first who in turn will consult with the doctor and tell me to get back to them after a day or two like how I got my answer with my extra month medication dilemma.  Although, the truth is you are kind of my counselor / doctor for now and don't know if it's right for me to keep on bugging you for every single small things... :)

As always, your feedback would mean the world to me.  Thank You and God Bless!

Sincerely,
XXX


POZZIEPINOY'S REPLY

Hi XXX,

Thanks for your email again. The inspiration to write is coming from those people who are reading my blog entries and those people who are continuously emailing me and updating me about how my blog has helped them. I get my inspiration from all of you who consistently patronizing my blog and sharing their life stories so others can learn from them.

I am happy that PGH-SAGIP will provide you with the necessary supply of your ARV's while you're out of the county. Like what I said before, all our hubs really care for everybody and they do understand the situation of our OFW's who are working hard to provide for their families even though they have to work outside our country.

Now, let me answer our question. Regarding lamivudine, you can take them together with tenofovir and efavirenz at the same time. I know for a fact that lamivudine has very minimal side effects and since you are not in a trial preiod anymore you can take them with tenofovir and efavirenz. I am taking the same cocktail as yours and I take them all at 10pm: 2 tabs of lamivudine, 1 tab of tenofovir and 1 tab of efavirenz. This was my advice by Dr. Ditangco to me so I know you won't have a problem with taking all of them at the same time too. However, make sure to tell your doctor first so he or she knows what you are doing. It is better to be roactive than be reactive and of course our doctors know best so keep them posted on whatever we are doing so they will know what to do in case there are adverse effects, especially from our ARV's.

It is hard for me to give you a doctor who can just answer your questions. Unless of course, you are a patient of him or her. In that case, you can coordinate with your PGH-SAGIP nurse or doctor or you can email me all your questions so I can ask my good doctors and the RITM staff. 

You don't bug me because I love to be bugged by people who are really into their health. It is always my pleasure, answering all your questions and concerns.

Please email me again if you have other concerns and keep me posted.




Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy


*** Please answer the poll question on the LEFT SIDE of the Main Page. I want to hear from you!

© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: