Email 69: Nevirapine and Hepa B

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 8:34 AM

Hi Pozzie Pinoy,

Good day! How are you? I'm XXX and I came across your blog a couple of days before getting myself diagnosed on the last week of September to date. Actually, this blog served as the only guide I had to get HIV test at RITM, Malate. I say that this blog is very helpful and I would like to thank you for that.

I chose RITM-ARG as my treatment hub. My first visit was to undergo series of lab tests then consultation on the same day like explaining all my medical history to the physician and all sorts. I told the physician that I had Hepatitis B way back 2009 but the laboratory results shows "undetectable". Now, my second visit's intention is to know the lab results of my CD4, urinalysis, stool, PPD, X-ray, etc and all of them turned out to be fine (whew, thank God) except my CD4 count which is 196. The physician advised me to start the ARV trial right away giving me Zipo/Lami and Nevi.

So I went home and did some research on them before taking it and I bumped into Nevirapine's do's and don'ts. Based on my research, any person with a history of chronic Hepa B should avoid taking it as it may cause severe and life threatening side effects or it may worsen the liver's state. Mine is acute (not chronic) and I never had any liver-issue-related problem so far. Also, I assumed that since lab results from RITM Malate was "undetectable", I am already treated. I was suppose to take my ARV trial today but I have to skip it before everything becomes clear to me. I guess the doctor missed the part of reviewing my med history. I don't know. *sigh*

Anyway, my question is - since you are the only person I know who has a personal contact of Dr. Ditangco and the rest of the squad, should I still take Nevirapine? I am just scared that the liver problem might go back.

Thank you very much! Hope to hear from you. And yep, if you have available time, I would love to maybe, have a personal talk with you. :) Cheers!

Best Regards,
XXX
R12-XXX


POZZIEPINOY'S REPLY

Hi XXX (R12-XXX),

Thanks for your email. I am glad that you were able to go to RITM-Satellite through my blog and got your self tested there. I am glad too that you are so proactive in going to RITM-ARG to finish all your labs, CD4 and consultation.

Regarding your question, since Dr. Ditangco is out of the country right now, I called up Maram Bartolome, one of the staff of RITM-ARG. She told me, to quiet down your nerves, you should come back to RITM-ARG again to make sure that you are safe from taking nevirapine or not because of your previous history of hepa B. She said that usually they conduct a separate titer of your blood to detect if you are really free of hepa B which is different from the hepa B test that they do. She said, to be really safe, go back to the hub and tell the doctor again.

I am glad that you really asked this question as this will benefit a lot of my readers. I am happy too that you are so proactive that you researched about your ARV's first before taking them. 

I hope I was able to answer your question. Feel free to email me again if you have other concerns.

Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy



*** Please answer the poll question on the LEFT SIDE of the Main Page. I want to hear from you!

© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: