Email 81: ARV's and Time Zones

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 10:16 AM

Hello Pozziepinoy,

It's me again.  Am in Manila now and would be flying out by November XXX.  Still have not been with the doctor in PGH-SAGIP as she only goes for consultation once a week.  Will keep you posted, if you don't mind.  

By the way, was just wondering because there will be a time difference of around 12 hours from here to the United States, am concerned that if I keep on taking the meds before bed time then I'd be late taking the meds for twelve hours.  I was wondering if I should just take the meds in the plane twelve hours after I had my last dose and then after that continue on taking the meds by bedtime so that I haven't missed a dose or do you think this might cause an overdose?

Thank you so much in advance!  I know that this is quite a tricky question but don't know who to turn to...

With gratitude,
XXX


POZZIEPINOY'S RESPONSE

Hi XXX,

Thanks for the email again and I appreciate that you are keeping me posted with what's going on with you.

Regarding your concern, I just had a call with Dr. Ditangco, the head of RITM-ARG and she said that the rule of thumb is that you can take your medicines ahead of time (within 24 hours) but you can't be late (or more that 24 hours). 

Let me give you an example. Like me, I take my ARV's at 10pm (Manila time), so in case my flight to the US is 5pm I will still take my ARV's at 10pm (Manila time) while on the plane and when I land in the US, adjust my watch and take my ARV's at 10pm US time there. Do the same time adjustment when coming back from the US to Manila. She reiterated that it is better to be early in taking your ARV's than be late (beyond 24 hours). She said that 12 hours of taking the ARV's advanced of your intake time won't cause overdosing so you are safe.

I hope I was able to answer your question. Feel free to email me again if you have other concerns.

Have a safe trip.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: