Email 84: On Tuberculosis and Hepatitis

Posted by Pozziepinoy on 6:59 PM

Hi Pozziepinoy,

Ask ko lang, kasi my brother-in-law is HIV positive. He also has TB (tuberculosis) pero nag take na siya ng gamot sa TB halos 1 month na, ung SGPT at SGOT results nya sobrang taas, pero wala naman daw sinabi ang doctor kung may hepatitis ba siya. I am just worried kasi my 10 year old son is palaging nasa bahay nila at palagi nyang binibigyan ng natitira niyang pagkain. May tendency ba na mahawa ung anak ko?


One more thing is yung pamangkin niya na nagbabantay sa kanya, may possibility ba na mahawa ng TB at hepa?

(Translation: I would like to ask something. My brother-in-law is HIV positive. He also has TB and he has been taking TB meds for almost one month. His SGPT and SGOT results are so high but his doctor never mentioned if he has hepatitis. I am worried because my 10 year old son is always in his place and he gives left over food. Is there a possibility that my son will get it?

One more thing is that his nephew watches over him. Is there a possibility that he can get TB and hepa?)

Thank you so much!


POZZIEPINOY'S RESPONSE

Hi.

Thank you for your email.

I talked to Maram Bartolome of RITM-ARG and she said that once the patient starts with anti TB medications, the infection becomes tamed and not communicable anymore. Of course, it is still best to ask your family doctor about it.

Regarding your brother-in-law's SGPT and SGOT, I think it is best to talk to his HIV doctor about it, even when the doctor said that he has no hepatitis. Drug induced hepatitis is not contagious so don't worry about your son and his nephew. I experienced that too during my first month of taking ARV's and my doctors monitored both closely. I didn't have symptoms of yellowing of skin or eyes and after one month, my SGPT and SGOT normalized. No intervention was done.

Close monitoring of infections should be done for everyone, no matter what.

I hope I was able to answer your questions. Feel free to email me again if you have other concerns.


Stay healthy,
Pozziepinoy



© Copyright. All Rights Reserved by Pozziepinoy 2012

Credits: